Chapter 53: Goodbye

Caitlin secured the chunky metal helmet to Sting's head. The meta was secured tightly to the medical bed in the medbay. Her clear skin rippled under the intense bright lights from above. If Caitlin looked close enough, she could make out the then transparent lines where the woman's blood vessels and bones were supposed to lie. Barry and Cisco were lingering by her side in case of emergency. The Captain and Sonny were standing a little further back. Sonny was wrapped in his father's arms, their faces alight with compressed hope. Caitlin flicked the headgear on, the machine whirred to life. Small lights on the side of the device began to flicker. Cisco had warned that they would take a few minutes to heat up.

Caitlin took a step back and crossed her arms over her chest. Casting a glance at the father and son duo in the corner of the room, she felt her heart lift. Sonny had gone back to living with his father, the number of Breacher's trying to hunt the boy down were all but diminished. Barry too had forgiven the Captain. It just goes to show that good people can be forced into doing bad things.

A few seconds passed before a loud beep was emitted from the helmet and Sting's whole body shuddered. Caitlin traded a glance with Cisco. The engineer sent her a reassuring nod. Slowly the colour began to seep back into Sting. First her bones and muscles became visible until her entire body was covered in peachy skin. The marine biologist's work uniform lay in shreds atop her. Wearily she peeled open her cerulean eyes and glanced around. "Hello there Mrs Kirkland, can you understand what I am saying?" Caitlin asked softly.

The woman blinked slowly, nodding her head meekly she replied, "yes, I can," Caitlin noted that her voice sounded okay, if a little underused. The Captain pulled his son closer to himself, the child's eyes pricked with tears. Mrs Kirkland's eyes flicked around in a panic, "Where is Sonny?" She croaked.

Before Caitlin or Cisco could reply Sonny attacked her, pulling the woman into a tight and desperate hug. The little boy let out soft sniffles as his mother held him close. She murmured gently to him, reminding the child it was all okay. Caitlin took a step back towards Cisco and Barry, not making comment on the pair's reddened eyes. Caitlin was happy that the Kirkland family was reunited. With a nod to her friends, the three team Flash members backed quietly out of the room. Not before Caitlin saw the Captain join in the family hug of course. The doctor felt a tug at her heart. Her family had never been like that. Yet her friends were. With a smile she realised, that the Kirkland's were going to be just fine.

*

Caitlin stared across the lit up city. The dark sky that loomed above them swallowed the city skyline whole. As a child she often referred to street lamps as Man made stars. Never before had it felt so true. The lights from below shone like pinpricks of hope amongst a world of darkness. Ethan and her had taken a seat on the roof of Star Labs. For the first time in a long time, Caitlin felt at peace. The cold wrapped around them as they sat shoulder to shoulder with one another, a thick blanket wrapped around them. His warmth infected her space, making her want to snuggle closer. The only noise she could hear was the soft whistling of the wind and the distant sound of car horns. "It's over," she mumbled numbly. It had only been a few days since they had gotten back from their ordeal with Tate, but it was more than enough time to think.

"Thank goodness for that," he hummed. They were both worn out, and sleep was tugging on her eyelids. Caitlin didn't know how she had managed to stay awake for so long, after they had helped turn Sting into a normal form that morning.  She supposed debriefing the Captain on what to expect and how to handle his meta family had taken the most toll on her energy level. "Strangely, I am glad for our experience," Ethan turned his head to her.

Caitlin smiled up at him, "and why is that?"

"Without all of this, I would still be locked in the pipeline." He paused, letting out a rush of warm breath, "and, you and I would never have become this close. Literally and figuratively," he chuckled.

Caitlin gently placed her head on his shoulder. Ethan hummed happily. "I suppose that means I am glad it all happened too," she had never really thought being held captive was a bonding experience, but alas life always had surprises in store.

Ethan shuffled slightly, clearing his throat, "do you know what I thought about when I was trapped inside my own mind?" Caitlin stared at him in intrigue, tilting her towards him. "I saw my life in the future. The future with the broken team Flash. It was different, however, Iris was still alive." His weary eyes turned down to her. "The one who died was you. Not died, murdered. By me. I saw myself washing the blood from my hands. Rightfully so, team Flash hunted me down and scarred me once again. Except this time, this time I just let it happen. After what I did to you, I knew I deserved much worse,"

Caitlin's hand found Ethan's underneath the mess of covers. Intertwining them she replied, "I guess it's a good thing that was only fiction. I don't plan on leaving you any time soon."

Ethan's hand grasped Caitlin's tighter than before. He gazed down at her with a look that made her heart skip a beat, "I love you,"

A cheesy grin warped her face and her insides turned to mush, "I love you too,"