Chapter 50: Retriever

Caitlin stumbled ungracefully onto her feet when Ethan burst out of the speed force. Wrapping her arms around herself, the scientist surveyed her area. Ethan had managed to run straight through the walls of the school and into a small janitorial closet. To Caitlin's surprise, many of the maintenance supplies looked new and fairly well used. That meant they were at a risk of discovery, even if it was three AM, four hours after Barry's own disappearance. Ethan hovered behind Caitlin, a rickety light swung above their heads. "We are in," Caitlin whispered softly into her com. A thick shiver ran down her spine as she inhaled the cold air around her. The doctor's gut twisted, she wanted to leave.

"Okay, I have a marker on you, go into that hallway and take a left. Be careful, at the end of the corridor there is a heat signature," Iris's voice sang into Caitlin's ear, distracting her from her escape craving.

"Got you," Caitlin whispered back. With that she turned over her shoulder and gestured for Ethan to follow her. Surprisingly he did so with little quarrel. Prying the door open gently, Caitlin crept out into the corridor. Everything was a dull grey colour, yellowed lights hung from the ceiling. A fairly long corridor stretched from either side of the closet. Keeping her body slightly bent over and her steps light she advanced  down the left hand side of the corridor. Caitlin noted that she could hardly detect Ethan's footsteps, her breathing was louder in her ears. The walls were littered with torn up and splotchy water stained kids displays and posters.

Pressing onwards Caitlin snuck past a a few doorways. The silvery handles were rusted and broken. At the end of the corridor was a double door that looked in working condition but probably squeaked like heck. The peeling paint and rusted handles stood out against the fading colourful displays on the wall. Swallowing hard the doctor proceeded. Through the meshed glass in the doors, Caitlin could vaguely make out the shape of a man leaning against the wall, a gun slung over his shoulder. With trepidation she crept a little further forwards and pressed her self behind a pillar that stuck out from the wall. She turned back to see Ethan behind her, she nodded to him and before she had even finished her nod, the guard was sprawled across the floor, completely unconscious. The worst part was, Caitlin hadn't even heard it happen. The doors swung back and forth, squeaking softly, no where near as bad as Caitlin had anticipated. Standing to her feet she made her way towards Ethan. After gliding through the doors she made eye contact with his one hazel eye, "what did you do?" She whispered harshly, pointing at the man collapsed on the floor. Her heart leapt into her throat and her lungs burned in her chest.

Ethan rolled his eyes, "I knocked him out," with a flurry of air the body disappeared, though Ethan hadn't seemed to have moved.

Caitlin raised her brows, "you couldn't have just tied him up? What if you've damaged his head? Where did you put him?"

Ethan groaned softly, "he is in the closet we began in, can we hurry up, this place is spooking me out," after taking in Caitlin's cocked hip and arched brow he grumbled, "I'm sorry for hurting your precious enemy. Next time I will be a little more gentle as to not damage his poor head. Jeez, there is no pleasing team Flash,"

Caitlin let a rush of hot air escape her lips, "look-" she said louder than expected.

"Sshhhh," Ethan hushed her immediately. Caitlin could see his eyes flicking around warily. What was going on with him? She had never seen him act so strangely, "someone could hear you." Caitlin opened her mouth to retort, but nothing came out. Her own heart was hammering out of control. Was it the dim lighting? Was it the musky smell? Was it fear for finding Barry in poor condition?

"Go up the first flight of stairs and carry on down that hallway a few paces, but be wary, there are a few people standing guard outside of the main room," Iris's voice cut through their bickering.

Caitlin huffed, turning away from Ethan and beginning to stalk up the stairs. The hairs on the back of her neck began to stand on end. Ethan could hardly be heard at all. Cisco had done an exceptional job at designing the suit. If she didn't know he was there, she wouldn't have heard him at all. Marble steps disappeared below her as she ascended them. Once more the walls were covered in large art displays. Some childish scribbles, other chalky masterpieces. Caitlin reached the landing and kept her centre of gravity low. Creeping next to the double doors and peeking through the meshed glass, she could make out a few tall guards in black clothing with guns slung over their shoulders. Breathing hard, she tried to calm her frayed nerves.

One of the guards turned to look at Caitlin, so she dove out of the way of the door, concealing herself behind a lip in the wall. Breathing heavily she turned to Ethan, all she got was a gust of wind in face. Before Caitlin could blink the two guards were in front of her, on their knees, gagged and tightly tied up. Caitlin nearly pitied them as they fought aimlessly against their bonds. Ethan stood being them with a proud smirk, "is that good enough your highness. I didn't even knock them out this time,"

Caitlin rolled her eyes, "perfect, wasn't that difficult, was it?" She replied snidely, but a feint smile was visible on her lips. Once more a whoosh of air rushed into her face and even though it looked like Ethan had merely flickered for a moment, both guards had disappeared. A cold terror gripped her chest, making her choke on breath, but she managed to push it aside. "What did you do with these ones?" She raised a brow.

Ethan sent her a heart warming smile, "once again, don't worry, they are locked in the other janitor's closet just down the corridor,"

Caitlin opened her mouth to reply, an eyebrow twitching as she did so. Before she could get any words out, her world span around her and she was standing in the very place the guards had been moments before.  Looking round in a daze, she snapped over to Ethan, "don't do that," he was hardly paying attention to her. His eyes were glued to the sturdy wooden door that separated them from the main chamber of the orphanage. "Ethan... why are you acting so strange... are you okay?" Caitlin asked, tilting her head to one side.

Ethan's eyes flicked to hers. Both of them contained the same venomous emotion. Fear. Soft breathing had morphed into a heavier and more cumbersome state. The hazel eye was wide and unfocused, the white one seemed more glassy than usual. Something was very wrong. Caitlin placed a hand gently on Ethan's forearm, "Are you Okay Ethan?" She repeated her previous question. Ethan nodded his head, and with a shaky hand gestured to the door. Caitlin swallowed hard and upon his request, knelt down, cracking open the door slightly and peeking the crack. What she saw, made the blood drain from her face.