Chapter 48: Dr Donefor

Barry had always hated the violent part of crime fighting. Particularly the interrogations. It was part of the reason he became a CSI: to fight crime without actually having to fight. Then again, 70% of being a detective was just paperwork. Barry hated paperwork, he got enough of it at his day to day job, which was why he loved being a vigilante. No paperwork, no tedious report writing and no monotonous filing. There was however, many times when Barry was uncomfortable with his role as a hero. When he was staring down an old man tied to a chair in an abandoned warehouse that was falling apart was one of them. The older man had whips of white hair that were sleeked back to his skull and each wrinkle in his face told of a time he was happy. He was secured loosely to a chair by rope in one of the shaded areas of the warehouse. Barry crossed his arms over his chest with a sigh, prompting a huge plume of grey breath to rise up around his face. Though the Scarlet speedster loved his suit, it had no insulation ability, leaving him a shivering pile of bones.

Barry had no intention of hurting the man, but it still made him unease that they had captured him from his home. Water trickled from the roof where a gaping hole in the rafters was visible. A few streams of daylight managed to seep through the cracks, lighting up the empty warehouse. Archie's grey eyes peered into Barry's, they were both accusing and guilty, a match made to confuse. Barry jutted out a piece of paper under the old man's nose, "tell me who you mixed this drug for, and I will let you go back to your family,"

Archie let out a deep rumbling chuckle, "now now, I don't know what you are talking about, I have never seen a drug like that in my life,"

Barry clenched his chattering teeth, "my team and I have proof of your 'transactions' and a witness who can pledge to your involvement in the underground drug triad," the old man remained deathly still, clearly thinking out his options.

"If I tell you... will you let me go?" His voice crackled with age.

Barry wouldn't go back on his word, but it killed him not to lock the man up for his crimes. Especially after what his drugs had done to Iris. "I will let you go until you give me another reason to hunt you down and drag you to prison," Barry hissed through clenched teeth.

The elder man let an exasperated sigh leave his lips, nodding his head he spoke, "the man I mixed those for was named Tate Johnning. You will find him in the old central city school for the blind building. It's been long out of use, but that was where I was told to deliver the chemicals,"

*

Caitlin relaxed back into her plush couch. Heat from the room around her was cradling her into a sleepy state. The TV droned in the background and she was vaguely aware of Ethan's presence beside her. Though he would never admit it, Caitlin had noticed he liked to sit next to her on the sofa. Every time she was sitting on it, he would join her, never going to the single arm chair. Caitlin supposed she would be like that too if she had been forcefully removed from her family and friends for several long, agonising years.

"Have you made any progress in the Sonny case?" Ethan asked, his eyes focused on the screen and his good ear tilted towards her.

Caitlin was snapped from her sleepy state, it took her a moment to reply, "yes, we are going after Tate Johnning tomorrow. Although we have no plan and no idea what we are up against," she chuckled. That had been a tid-bit of information that had been bothering her for a while. Caitlin had many questions she wanted answered before they attacked the base, but the only way to get them was to push onwards.

"Sounds like team Flash," Ethan droned. The television adverts felt as though they were never ending, "Where is he holed up?"

"The old Central City School for the Blind," she turned to him, intrigued by his sudden curiosity. "You know the abandoned one?"

Ethan nodded his head, "I know it," he paused for a moment, a frown etching onto his face, "do you.... do you need help?" His tone was quiet and very flat.

Caitlin felt a smile forcefully crawl onto her face, "it's okay, I think we will be fine, but it won't hurt if you are on standby," she ran a hand over her chin, "I will call you if need be," she told him, scratching her head.

"Caitlin, I don't have a phone or my speed," Ethan sent her a sly smile at her ditzy behaviour.

Caitlin raised her brows. How could she have forgotten that? It was too tired for her. With a sigh she dug into her pocket, "a good thing about having a paranoid friend like Cisco..." she paused wrestling something out of her pocket, "is that I get two phones," she pulled a phone out and offered it up to him.

Ethan took it hesitantly, "don't you need it?" Caitlin shrugged, "no, I don't think I will. As for the speed, I don't think you will need it, and if you do just come to the Lab and Cisco will remove your cuff,"

Ethan nodded his head, "Okay, noted,"

After that both of their attentions returned to the bright screen in front of them. Caitlin felt warmth ticking her heart. It was one thing for Ethan to willingly help them with no benefit for him, but it was another thing for him to offer his services. They had come so far together and Caitlin was strangely grateful for everything that happened to them because it gave Ethan a second chance at living life. Not being Barry. Not being Savitar. Being Ethan.