Khadeejah

CHAPTER 2; KHADEEJAH

The next afternoon, I walked in front of the cafeteria scanning the room for my best friends. I spotted the two and walked over. The problem was I saw Khadeejah sitting there as well.

She flaunted an evil grin my way before her expression altered to something of innocence. I knew it, acts innocent but is actually something evil. Might even pass as the devil herself. Or what if she's actually a man under all the excessive pounds of makeup? Then she might even pass as the devil HIMself.

"Hello? Earth to Meryem?" Jasmine waved a hand over my face. "Yeah?" I turned to look at her.

"Good, we thought you left us for a moment." Alen chuckled. "Yeah, we wouldn't want that now would we?" Khadeeja smirked. She's practically asking for an ass-whooping. "Of course not." I awkwardly glued my eyes to my tray.

"So how are you going to step up your game?" Jasmine raised her eyebrow playfully.

"What?" I asked in confusion. "Ahem, Jason?" Alen said as if it was obvious.

"Uhh..." My eyes travelled to an inquisitive Khadeejah. Her eyes practically had fire in them from all the evil thoughts passing through her mind. I knew that look. It was the I-need-to-know-cause-I'm-going-to-tell look.

"I'll be right back." I excused myself and speed-walked to the girl's washroom. I was hyperventilating. I couldn't let Jason know a thing and there was a chance that Khadeejah suspected something.

For all I knew, she could have already told Jason by then—or was about to.

I ran back into the cafeteria looking like a maniac. A couple heads turned my way, but they went back into their own conversations. I tried to casually walk towards my friends.

Khadeejah was gone. "What did you tell Khadeejah?" I sat back in my seat. "What would we tell her?" Alen asked.

"Alen, you tell everyone basically everything about me, so spill. What did you say about Jason?" I asked eagerly. There was only so much to my patience and it was straying away.

"We said nothing Meryem, promise." Jasmine held up her hands saying they were innocent.
"Phew." I shook my head. The stress was making my stomach start to hurt, yet I reluctantly started eating.

"Do you still think that Khadeejah is out to get you?" Alen narrowed her eyes. I could tell she was getting tired of my constant bickering about her. I took a bite of my apple.

"I'm 100% sure. Remember what she said to me? 'You're bound to lose'. Does that ring a bell?" I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. She was giving me anxiety. It didn't matter anyway. I knew I wasn't important.

"Okay, so she's a little competitive, why-" Alen was cut off by Jasmine. "I don't really think it's about competitiveness anymore. What she said was sort of rude." She paused. "Maybe it could all be a misunderstanding like you said, Alen. Or what Meryem thinks-" I cut her off, while munching on chips. "Knows," "What Meryem knows, could be entirely true." Jasmine continued and shrugged.

"I guess." Alen sighed. "Maybe we could just keep an eye out—see what she does to her. You in, Meryem?" She turned towards me.

I snorted. "You had me at 'maybe'."

•••

School bullies are very childish things. It didn't often happen in high school. It was mostly all those years ago where people always got bullied by a particular someone.

But this is the 21st century and bullies have evolved. Either for better or for worse. But, the problem was, a lot of people have learned to speak back to a bully making them feel less powerful. So there weren't as many as before.