Guilty

CHAPTER 9; GUILTY

"Someone drugged me?!?" I asked for clarification that I heard right. Jason nodded, a frown visible on his face.

"Who?" I asked eager to know. Just then, I remembered that I had a drink in my hand. I had set it down just for a couple seconds, someone could have drugged me then.

"As far as I know, no one knows." He sighed, running a hand through his short hair. Or could it be...Jasmine?

That was a shocking thought that came to my mind. How outré could it be if it was that? Jasmine would have never done that, as she was my best friend or would she?

"There is someone, but it's crazy." I shook my head unsure whether I should say it or not. "Just say it." He told me.

"Jasmine could have done it..." I said slowly. "Jasmine?" He asked, confused. "I know, I wouldn't believe it either, but she gave me the cup of water that I had when I came to the party." I explained, fumbling with the hospital blanket.

He nodded—about to say something but I interrupted him. "There might be something else." I breathed in deeply and looked up. Why did this have to happen to me?

He nodded, giving me his undivided attention. "I put down my cup once—just once but I picked it up and drank it again." I said closing my eyes, mentally cursing at myself for being even more stupid than I anticipated I could be.

"Meryem—" He started, but I interrupted him, shooting my eyes open. "No, I know what you're going to say. I'm so stupid and I should have been more careful."

"Meryem—"

"And that I should never go to parties again."

"Meryem—"

"And you don't even know why I am liv—" I started but he interrupted me. "Would you just listen?" He asked. I muttered a sorry, putting my head down and after a few seconds he started to talk.

"Meryem, you're not stupid and never say that I would say, 'I don't even know why you are living.' I would never say something like that. But I'm not denying the fact that I was going to say that you should be more careful, because you should." He rubbed his eyes.

"I'm sorry, but are you okay? You seem very tired." I asked him, taking a closer look at the seeable bags underneath his eyes.

"I didn't get much sleep last night." He yawned at the statement. "Oh, why not?" I was genuinely worried about his health.

"Uhh, because of—" Jason started. "Oh, Meryem sweetie, are you okay?" My mom asked opening the door to the room, then she and my dad ran to hug me. "I'm fine mom." I hugged her back. I noticed that they both had tear stained cheeks—my mom more than my dad.

"Do they know who did it?" My dads mood changed from sad to angry. "No dad." I assured him, knowing what he was talking about. He was pretty protective of me.

"As soon as you know, don't forget to tell us." My mom told me in her motherly tone. "Don't worry guys, I won't." I smiled.

•••

I was walking down the hallway of our school and several heads snapped in my direction. I was trying to go to Jason's locker and I wasn't even getting peace in that.

People were whispering in every corner and glancing back at me every so often. People came up to me asking if I was okay, people that I didn't even speak to. Trinity and Holly came up to me as well. It was nice of all of them—I guess—but I obviously didn't tell them the truth. Not until I knew who had done it for sure.