II

My cab pulls up to Pop's the dark road being illuminated by the neon sign, shining bright, advertising the 24 hour accessibility to the diner. My shaking breath matches my shaking hands as I leave the cab. Being out late gets nerve-racking in Riverdale. This town used to be safe, no doubt. Over the passed year, Riverdale has turned on its head into a town full of mystery, murder, and madness. 

I leave the cab and slowly approach the door to Pop's, jumping slightly at the jingle above the door. It shouldn't startle me, but my nerves get the best of me. Letting out a shaky breath, I approach the bar and hoist myself up onto one of the stools. The entire diner is deserted and empty. At 3 am, whoever works the graveyard shift gets off easy. I glance around, waiting for an employee to approach me and ask what I want. 

Thankfully, just the man I was hoping to find appears from the kitchen, giving me that slight smirk I expected. My breath catches and my heart lurches into my throat, beating rapidly. He slowly walks up to me, the counter being the only thing between us. I look up at him expectantly, trying to keep my composure. 

"What brings you here?" He asks, his gaze never faltering from mine. 

He raises his eyebrow when I don't answer. I blink slowly. 

"I– I..." stuttering, I struggle to find words. 

He smirks at my nervousness. 

"Would your dad like you out this late?" He questions, still intently watching my face. 

"No," I whisper, with a single shake of my head, captivated by his undivided attention. 

He lets out a hint of a chuckle. 

"You come to see me?" He asks, continuing the somewhat one-sided conversation. 

I nod, swallowing hard, feeling helpless in his presence. His eyes light up and the corners of his mouth turn up more than before. He reaches across the bar and brushes my hair away from my face, watching as my demeanor changes at his touch. My eyes follow his hand, caressing my face lightly. I lean into his touch, watching his brown eyes twinkle. 

I groan, awaking from my dream. Annoyed with my subconscious for creating the scenario and ripping me away from it, I throw my pillow over my head, trying to will myself back to sleep. 

Of course not. 

The sun barely starts to rise and I glance around my room, mind still swimming. I haven't had a dream like that in such a long time. Of the three guys I slept with in college, none of them made me feel this way, not even when we were together. Nothing has made me feel like this before. 

"Oh, God!" I groan, sitting up, deciding I might as well start my day. 

I shuffle down to the kitchen and rummage for a coffee mug as I start to brew a fresh pot. I hear someone coming down the stairs and try to keep my composure. I don't want to be bothered with anyone right now. I just want to sit and drown in my thoughts, vaguely remembering the dream that has my brain floating on a cloud. 

"What're you doing up so early?" Kevin asks, matching my robe and slippers ensemble. I shrug, giving him a tired glare. 

"Couldn't sleep." 

He nods, sitting next to me, watching the coffee drip into the pot. We sit in silence and wait. Neither of us is a morning person. 

"You have school?" I ask with a yawn. 

"It is Monday," he sighs. 

Right, I got in on a Friday. 

"Good luck," I offer, taking a long sip of my freshly brewed coffee, glancing at Kevin over the top of my mug. 

"Look at my two kids, up and at 'em before their old dad," Dad comments, walking into the kitchen chipper and ready to head into work. 

Kevin and I collectively mumble groans as a greeting and response to our dad's morning enthusiasm. Dad chuckles, making his own cup of coffee. 

"So, Kimberly, you thinking of getting a job? I think Pop's has an opening." Dad offers, striking up conversation. 

My eyes widen as I continue to drink my coffee to avoid giving a response. Part of me would love a job at Pop's, but I don't need the close proximity to the man taking over my subconscious. Kevin and Dad turn their attention to me expectantly. 

"I don't know, Dad. Sure, there won't be any great jobs pertaining to my degree, but I'd rather not waitress." I conclude, thinking as quickly as I could before 8 am. 

Dad nods, taking a seat across from me and Kev. 

"I think Betty's parents' paper could use some extra help." Kev offers, sounding more like his lively self. "I know they've been struggling with some marital issues so having some extra hands available at The Register would probably be a big help." He shrugs, giving away more information than necessary. 

Dad and I give Kev a look as if to tell him to watch what he says about other people's personal issues, but all Kevin does is shrug. 

"That would actually be great, Kev. Thanks!" I reply, finishing off my first cup of coffee. 

Thinking about work and getting a job will be good distractions from my thoughts, thank God. I stand, leaving my cup in the sink, and head up to get ready for the day, hoping to snag a job. Working in Journalism would be a really cool opportunity and expansion of my skills. 

After showering, I find an outfit suitable for an interview at a Newspaper company, even a small one just for Riverdale. Feeling somewhat professional, I knock on Kev's door for his approval. 

"Love the look, although black and navy clash, Kim." I survey my outfit, inspecting the contrast of my black jeans and navy blazer. The tiny yellow floral accent on the blazer adds a nice touch, I think. "It should be fine," Kevin shrugs, going back to his laptop. 

That boy must get up far too early for school if he has time to get on his computer before he starts his day. I wouldn't expect him to always get up at five in the morning. 

"That looks great, Kim!" Dad comments, with a bright, approving smile. "Want me to drop you off at The Register on my way to the station?" He offers. 

I nod and thank him as we head down to his car.