XXV

FP and I are lying in bed, my head on his chest as he plays with my hair. His free hands reaches down and holds the small bump forming in my abdomen. He kisses the top of my head, making butterflies erupt in my stomach. 

"I love you," I say, smiling at him. 

"I love you," he mirrors. 

We've been lying here for a good part of the morning, letting the sun beam down on us through the windows. Jughead offered to pick up breakfast for us after he and Betty stop at the library. Even in the summer they can't help studying things and sleuthing. 

"What're we gonna do this summer?" I wonder out loud. 

With FP retired from the serpents, and Pop's under new ownership, we have a lot of free time on our hands. 

"Well..." he starts, taking my hand in his to play with my fingers. "We should get a crib eventually, do you think your parents kept yours? 

I chuckle. 

"Doubtful, they cleared all of that out to make room for Dad's gym." 

Mentioning Dad sours my perfect mood. We haven't spoken in almost two months, and it's getting harder to move forward with things knowing he won't be a part of it. 

"I should call my mom later," I think out loud. 

"Let's go visit her," FP proposes, watching me for a reaction. 

"What? Are you serious?" I start to sit up. 

"Entirely," FP assures, nodding, and grabbing both of my hands. "We're a family now, I want to meet her." 

I smile brightly, tears brimming in my eyes. 

"Let's go visit my mom!" 

Once Jughead and Betty come back with breakfast, I decide to pull on one of FP's t-shirts, a pair of boxer shorts, and head out to the kitchen. 

"Kim, you're glowing!" Betty gushes, immediately coming over to hug me. I hug her tight and thank her for the compliment. 

"Eat up, baby mama." Jughead comments with a smirk. 

"Gladly!" 

FP walks in, now dressed. He kisses the top of my head before taking a seat next to me. 

"So, Kim and I decided to take a trip this summer to meet her mom. I know I can trust you to keep things together here while we're gone, right Jug?" 

"Of course," Jug shrugs, mouth full of hash browns. 

"I'll keep him in line," Betty assures us, giving a knowing smile. "Have you talked to Kevin about it?" 

I stop and glance at FP. 

"Oh, no. I guess I'll go see him today." I say, pushing eggs around my plate. 

"Are you sure? We could just ask him to come over here?" Jug suggests, looking concerned. 

"It's fine, I haven't been back there in a while anyway. I should grab anything I might want to take for my mom." 

After we've all finished breakfast, Jug offers to ride me over to my house on his bike. We decided it would be best if FP kept his distance from Dad for the time being. I shower and get ready, deliberately grabbing my serpents jacket. On our way out, FP kisses me sweetly, and tells Jug to drive safely. 

"Thanks, Jug. You can come in if you want?" He shrugs, not leaving his bike. "Good call." 

I walk inside, greeted by a quiet house. I hear Kevin up in his room and head there first. If Dad is around, then maybe I'll acknowledge him. I knock faintly on Kevin's door. 

"Yeah?" He calls. 

I open his door and smile, ready to hug him. 

"Kim!" He hurries over and wraps his arms around me. "Oh, my god! Pregnancy looks good on you!" 

"Thanks, Kev," I laugh. "So, FP and I talked, and he wants to meet Mom... We haven't cemented any details, but I wanted to let you know we'll be leaving for a while." 

Kevin's face changes as he processes everything. 

"Oh- okay. You'll be back before the baby is born, right?" 

"Of course! Is there anything you want me to take to Mom, or tell her?" 

He immediately starts to gather things for her: a scarf he knitted for her two years ago, some polaroids from when he directed the school play, and a pride flag. 

"Just tell her I miss her, okay?" 

He hugs me again, holding me tight. I ask him if he can help me pack more of my stuff to take with me. After about half an hour, he helps me bring everything downstairs. We freeze in the hallway when we see Dad standing there. 

"Oh, hello, Kim." He sounds sarcastically surprised. 

His eyes dart to my growing bump, anger flooding his face. 

"What the hell? You come home to pack more of your things, and you don't even bother to tell us you're pregnant!" 

"Uh, I knew." Kev interjects. 

"Dad, I'm going on a trip. That's why I came for more stuff." 

Dad scoffs at me, crossing his arms. 

"To take care of the mess you've found yourself in, I hope." 

My jaw drops, and Kevin recoils. 

"Whoa, Dad..." Kev says, baffled by the words that just left our father's mouth. 

"Actually," I start, clenching my jaw, forcing myself not to cry. "It's to see Mom." 

Dad's entire demeanor changes, softening into sadness. Before he can say anything, I leave the house, and Kevin follows with one of my bags. Jug helps us situate everything on the bike so that it won't fall off. I give Kevin one last hug, squeezing him tight. He rubs my belly one last time before watching Jug and I drive away. 

Once we're back at the trailer, I fall into FP's lap, and snuggle up to him on the couch. Betty smiles, watching us with adoration. Jug comes over to her and kisses the top of her head, sitting next to her. 

Five days later, FP and I are packing our things. Jug helps load everything in the bed of the truck, and hugs us goodbye. Betty engulfs me a tight hug, wishing me luck, and telling me to be sure to call and text her with baby updates. As FP and I get into the truck, excitement and warmth overcome me. We drive out of Riverdale, the town with 'pep', trees whizzing past us.