X

I sit in the kitchen, typing out an article for The Register. Dad lifts weights in the basement. Kevin rushes in, panting and making reckless noise. 

"Kim," he starts, catching his breath. "Can you- help us- save Cheryl?" He pants, hands on his knees as he tries to steady his breathing. 

I arch an eyebrow at him. 

"Care to explain more before enlisting me in some kind of break-out situation?" 

Kevin sighs, frustrated. He explains Cheryl's disappearance, and the concern they all share after  realizing she was shipped off to conversion therapy at Sisters of Quiet Mercy. All I can do is shudder at the news. So many crazy things keep happening in this town, I can hardly keep up. It's always something. 

I agree to help Kev, Veronica, and Toni save Cheryl. Thankful, Kevin wraps me in his arms, explaining the details of the rescue.

Once we're all ready to start our mission, we pick up the girls. When Toni gets in the car, Kev starts introducing us. 

"We've met, actually-" Toni interrupts. Kev looks between us, surprised. 

"Wh- when?" I can't help chuckling at his shock. 

"At the Wyrm! She came in the other night with FP." Toni explains, making me tense up. I didn't think she would go in depth. 

Kevin knows nothing about me and FP, and he doesn't even know about my research on Hiram, apart from what he and the rest of the town has read. The last thing I need is for Kevin to find out everything I have going on, or worse, piece it all together from what he hears from people besides me. If he has to know about me and FP, I want to tell him. 

"Sweet Pea kept trying to hit on her!" Toni chuckles, looking over at me. I nod, smiling at my memories of the other night. 

After we sat around talking and drinking, FP offered to let me stay at their trailer, which I declined despite what I wanted. I let him call me a cab and I headed home. Toni wouldn't stop asking me questions the whole night. I played it off as research for The Register, as a way to paint the Serpents in a better light. They all loved the concept, admitting that having targets on their backs all day is exhausting. 

"But why were you there?" Kevin continues as we drive to Veronica's. 

"A piece for The Register," I lie, again. It's starting to feel like a reflex. 

Out of the corner of my eye I can see Kev nod, not asking any more questions. Once we get to the edge of the woods that leads to the secret passageway, they run over the plan again, telling me to keep lookout and have the engine ready for us to get away quickly. Kev will test me when the ladies emerge with Cheryl. I nod, taking in every detail and instruction. 

As I sit, waiting for the kids to get back, I can't help getting lost in my thoughts, despite being asked to keep a sharp lookout. Sitting in the dark for nearly an hour almost has me dozing off, but I catch myself. 

I can't believe this is the way Riverdale has become. There's murder, adultery, drugs, more murder, conversion therapy... It's all so bizarre. And, Hiram Lodge just gets to sit back and buy out the whole town. Researching everything with Jughead shed a lot of light on everything going on, and I'm even more uncomfortable living in this town than I thought I would be. The only thing keeping me from feeling like I live in a disaster movie is FP. Sure, we might get tangled up in the messes, but when we're together everything feels okay. All of the corruption and danger in this town fades, and my fear melts away. 

Kev sends me a text, telling me to be ready. In less than two minutes, the four teens pile into the car, yelling for me to speed off. Once we're down the road they all cheer and thank me for being there to help. I smile, looking in my rearview mirror at Toni and Cheryl. They exchange dreamy looks. 

The next morning I make it a point to get to the bottom of the crazy in this town. 

"Jug," I start, after I hear him pick up. "Is there anything more you can share with me?" 

He offers to help me, and asks me to come to the trailer as soon as I can. Feeling energized and inspired, I rush over to Sunnyside Trailer Park. 

"Hey," I breathe, stepping into the trailer as soon as he opens the door. "Sorry to spring this on you, I just- oh, hey Betty!" 

I ramble on, barely noticing Betty sitting in the kitchen. She waves with a bright smile. 

"We're a bit of a sleuthing team." Jughead admits, sheepishly smiling. I grin, excited to get to work with the power couple of Riverdale. 

"The more, the merrier!" I comply, sitting on their couch. "I just- do you guys feel safe here?" I ask, sounding annoyed. "Surely not, right? There's so much going on." They both nod at me, letting me babble my concern for the town. 

"We've wanted the same thing you do, ever since Jason's murder. It's all become a downward spiral from there." Betty explains, placing her hand over mine for comfort. 

"Thank God you and Archie caught the Black Hood," Jughead chimes in, smiling proudly and lovingly at Betty. My eyes widen. 

"You and Archie Andrews caught the Black Hood? How in the hell?" I'm dumbfounded at this new information no one thought I'd like to know. 

"A lot of research and hands on investigation." Betty explains. "But with this... There's a lot more to look into. Hiram is a mastermind, that's obvious. But he won't divulge any information to anyone. I'm sure there's stuff he has planned his family doesn't even know about." I take in everything Betty has to offer, holding on to every word. 

"Well, Hiram paid my dad, we could ask him if the Serpents were asked to do anything else." Jughead suggests, looking between us for compliance. 

Betty and I nod, agreeing that could be a good place to start. The three of us construct an investigative plan to expose Hiram Lodge and his poisonous blueprints for Riverdale. 

"Archie's Dad might run for mayor, we could talk to Fred as well." Betty offers. "Hiram's wife is running against Fred, so I'm sure he'd have a few words for us. Even though he might reject the idea of an exposé on Hiram." 

"Speaking of dads, how's your relationship with yours?" Jug asks, switching subjects. 

I sigh. 

"Not good, Jughead. We sat down and talked about his "relationship" with Mrs McCoy, but he only apologized, claiming he got lonely and still loves our mom. I want more of an explanation than that. Like sure he got lonely, but, what's his plan when our mom does come home for a bit? Does she know? Will he just keep both of them? I don't know..." I rant, running a hand through my hair. Betty pulls me in to a hug. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you." Jughead replies, looking guilty. 

"It's fine, Jug. I haven't really talked to anyone about it. Not even Kev. Neither of us really wants to bring it to light." 

It feels like I'm hiding so many things from Kevin lately. I hate it. We used to tell each other everything. I guess that's another consequence when you move away: your close relationships suffer and crumble. Without recognition, I begin to cry. Betty and Jughead wrap me in an embrace, letting me cry into them. 

"What's going on, guys?" FP wonders, slowly walking into the trailer. He shrugs off his jacket and walks closer, getting a better look at our huddle. I glance up and his face softens once he sees my tear-stained, red face. 

FP drives me home, offering a comforting hand hold during the drive. He rubs his thumb over my knuckles, knowing I enjoy the caring, tender touch. 

"Just talk to him, Kim. I'm sure he has an explanation." FP offers in a whisper, pecking his lips to mine before letting go of my hand and watching me walk up to my front door safely. 

"Dad?" I call, my voice coming out soft, cracking at the vowel. 

Dad announces his presence in the kitchen. I decide to go up and get Kevin. We all need to talk through this together if we're going to mend our family. Kev and I walk in to the kitchen, hand-in-hand. 

"Can we talk?"