XXI

Two days later I show up to the Pembrooke. Veronica told me Hiram would be home, doing business in his study. I asked Alice to call ahead and arrange an interview for The Register. I walk up to the desk and state my business. The doorman allows me past immediately, not without giving me an ogling once-over in my black, form-fitting cocktail dress showing just enough cleavage to tantalize, and a tasteful amount of leg. As I walk passed him to the elevators, I can hear my heels clack, echoing throughout the lobby.

Once I'm in the elevator, I take a few deep breaths to try and calm my nerves and stop my shaking hands. In the reflective elevator walls I glance over my face and hair to make sure it's all up to par. Veronica lent me a diamond necklace that Hiram doesn't know she owns. That alone is enough to fray my nerves in the event that I lose it.

The elevator chimes once I reach the penthouse and I nervously walk up to the doors. I knock three times and wait for an answer. To my surprise, Veronica answers the door and lets me in.

"Good luck," she whispers, kissing my cheek and leaving through the door after I enter.

She promised the suite would be empty while I make my attempts. Per her instructions, I ate four mints on the way over, and another on the way up. Once the clock chimes 7:05, I head to the study and again knock three times. After a muffled response, I crack the door open and walk inside, closing the door agin behind me.

"Oh, yes, Ms Keller, nice to finally meet you." He greets, his voice chilling me to my bone. "Please, sit," he gestures to the seat across from him, on the opposite side of his desk.

I swallow my nerves and sway my hips as I walk over to the plush armchair. I catch his eyes raking over my body, making my skin crawl.

"Alice told me you'd like to interview me for the paper. I must say, I'm flattered. Would you like a drink?" I nod, unable to open my mouth.

I watch as he pours me a glass of wine. My face scrunches immediately. I hate wine, but if I'm going to pull this off...

"Thank you, Mr Lodge." I say, taking the glass from his hand, sure to let our fingers touch.

"Please, call me Hiram." He offers, making me want to gag.

Not even five minutes in, he's checked me out, offered me a drink, and insisted I get on a personal name basis. This is working by all means, but it makes my stomach turn.

"So," I start, setting down my wine without taking a sip, and crossing my legs.

The skirt of my dress reveals the bottom half of my thigh, and I watch his eyes follow the slit in my skirt. What a disgusting pig...

"You've done a lot of amazing work here in Riverdale. I must say it's not the same town I grew up in, it's simply flourishing with your– new contributions." I flatter, laying it on thick, just as Veronica suggested.

He grins.

"Why, thank you Ms Keller. I'd like to think my lovely wife and daughter have a lot to do with that. I do it for them."

I have to keep myself from rolling my eyes, and psych myself up for the major acting that's about to come from my end of this conversation.

"Please, Hiram, call me Kim." I smile sweetly, being sure my dimples are in full view. "So, with your wife busy running for Mayor, it must get terribly lonely." I muse, changing my tone into a low coo just to get his attention, and I flash him a look of pity, and lean forward slightly.

He shifts in his seat, and I catch his eyes flicker down to my chest.

"I tend not to get lonely, I'm so busy myself with all of the business at home, you see." I hum, feigning interest.