XII

The entire town gathered to mourn Midge Klump. Her untimely, unjustified death shook Riverdale to its core. No one could have imagined a young girl about to play the lead role in a high school production would meet her demise. It's clear now, the Black Hood is out for blood. Specifically, the blood of sinners.

As the town wept for Midge, many of us stood on uneasy legs, afraid to be the next victim. Dad stood with his arms around me and Kevin in a protective manner. With our heads bowed in prayer and respect, I waited to glance around for Jug or FP. A creeping feeling came upon me, worried for our future.

After the service, I excuse myself to find Jug. He's stood, hand locked in Betty's as the two stare down at Midge's grave. I walk up to them, and they both look up, trying to fake a pair of sad smiles. Before I can get a word out, FP walks up, gesturing for me to follow him. I comply, silently walking away from the teens.

"FP," I whisper, my lip quivering. "This is terrifying." He pulls me to him, wrapping me in his arms. My tears stain his shirt and I sniffle into his chest. His scent is back to what it used to be, and I never knew I could miss a scent so much. Feeling him hold me nearly eases my worries. "We could be next," I worry. "O-or my dad!" I blubber, anxiety taking over my brain and my body.

If the Black Hood is out for sinners, any number of people in this town could be next. Me, FP, Dad, Mrs McCoy, Fred, Alice, Chic, Jughead, Betty, Toni, Cheryl. Anyone with a secret has a target on their backs.

"Babe, relax." FP whispers, cooing in my ear and petting my hair, trying to comfort me as I cry and spiral into irrationality. My heartbeat quickens when I hear his pet name, but my chest hurts too much to acknowledge the good right now.

Suddenly, FP lets me go, letting the cold air engulf me. His eyes dart behind me and turn to see Kevin running over.

"We'll be fine." FP assures with a simple nod, trying to let his emotions hide. His eyes give away the fear that he too feels.

"We have to go." Kevin instructs, quickly glancing between us. "Now." I nod and follow Kevin to Dad's car.

When we get back to the house Kevin asks me to come up to his room, and he quickly shuts the door after I step into the room.

"What the hell, Kim?" Kev exclaims. "What was that I saw between you and FP?" His tone gets angrier and slightly louder as he goes. My eyes widen, and I look down at the floor. "And his truck? Outside our house? And you? At the Whyte Wyrm? What the hell, Kim?" He repeats, pacing and running his hands through his hair.

"Y- you know about-"

"I saw it, Kim! His car was outside our house that day you came to warn me about Chic. And don't think I don't realize why you showed up at the Wyrm with him. Are you seeing him, Kim?" Kev asks, his voice now barely a whisper with his last accusation. His eyes are wider than I've ever seen them to be.

I bite my lip, still afraid to look up at him. I hate having to hide this, but I know there's no way he'd be okay with it. He's always hated my crazy antics in the past, getting myself in trouble. Driving our parents to worry and enforce rules on us. I was a studious kid, but I was drawn to darker things.

"Oh, my God." Kevin whispers to himself, shaking his head in disbelief. "This whole time, you were sneaking around and keeping this a secret, and it was right in front of me! That's Jughead's dad, Kim." Kevin continues in disbelief, more affected than I thought he would be.

"Alright, Kev!" I exclaim, catching him off guard. He stops in his tracks, staring at me. "Keep your voice down." I plead, whispering, and eyeing the door. Kevin follows my gaze and sighs.

"What if the Black Hood comes for you?" He worries, sitting next to me on the bed, head in his hands. He sighs. "You and Dad are so stupid!" He exclaims, letting his emotions out into the air. I rub his back and I can feel him shake. I hear sobs escape him, and wrap him in my arms. "You guys are my only family, and I'm gonna lose you because you couldn't keep it in your pants." He cries. I have to bite back a laugh at his choice of words.

"It'll be fine, Kev. Even if the Black Hood comes for us, there's plenty of other people he could be after. And we have a lot of people looking out for us. Maybe the police will catch the Black Hood before he can get us." Kev scoffs, wiping his eyes.

"Right, Cheryl is out to prove Dad can't even try to catch the Black Hood." Kevin sulks. I stiffen at his words.

"That's bold of her, considering we broke her out of conversion camp," I grumble.

Our relationship with our dad may be strained, but it's still rude to doubt his profession as a police officer. Maybe there are multiple people behind the Black Hood, and no one even knows. It's not solely Dad's fault for what's happening. Though, I wasn't here during the first wave of Black Hood induced terror.

"You should stay away from FP." Kev suggests, looking at me expectantly. My eyebrows shoot up. "It's not safe for you to be going around town with him."

I nod. A silence falls between us.

"Besides, FP isn't the safest guy to be seen with in the first place." Kevin comments. I move away from Kevin, feeling defensive. "He was in jail not too long before you got here. He helped cover up Jason Blossom's murder. He's still a gang leader, and Jughead is falling in line with the incriminating actions." Kevin goes on, making me angrier as he continues.

"God, Kevin! At least I wasn't canoodling a killer!" I fire back, standing. "Chic's not just weird. He killed someone." I spit, crossing my arms over my chest. Kevin's face changes. A mess of emotions cross his face, too fast for me to process.

I storm out of his room, trying to run away from the taunts in my head.

Chic may have killed someone, but FP buried the body. FP buried the body. FP covered up a murder! He made you promise not to tell anyone. He's a criminal!

I clutch my head in my hands, trying to will the thoughts away. FP wasn't like that with me. He's sweet, and caring, and kind. He's a trustworthy man, he's never proven to me otherwise.

He buried a body! He assisted a killer! He's just as dangerous!

I need to talk to FP.