XVII

"Please, go. It's not safe for you to be around us right now. I can't have anything happen to you. I love you." FP pleads, kissing my forehead to see me off before he disappears with Fangs and the other Serpents in search of medical attention for Fangs. 

Dumbfounded, I make my way home to check on Kevin, but decide to stop at The Register when I see the lights on. I wouldn't expect Alice to be at work this late, and during all of this chaos, but nothing is more her fashion than this. 

I walk in, catching Alice's attention. She greets me briefly, asking if I could help with any of her potential headlines. My head spins recounting tonight's events. Too much has happened for this to be the same night. She shakes her head at me, turning her attention back to her computer and the phone in case it rings. 

"You can come by in the morning. It looks like you need rest." She observes, as I stand there with no reaction to anything. 

I nod slightly and head back out into the rain. Ignoring the water droplets on my skin, I walk slowly towards my house. On my way, I pass by Pop's. Lights and shouts draw my attention away from the void in my mind. 

I stare at the diner. Archie stands on the roof, throwing lit bottles of liquor to the ground, aiming for a group standing in the parking lot. Cautiously, I walk over to get a better look. As I walk towards the front of the diner, Dad's old patrol car speeds up to the diner. Dad, Fred, and FP jump out of the car. 

Oh God. 

Dad fires a gun, scaring the group standing in Archie's line of fire. The group retreats and I get a good look at a few faces. One has white paint with black eyes, and his hair goes in every direction. I'd be lying if I said they didn't creep me out a bit. Once they're backing off and heading to their bikes, I walk over to Dad, FP, and Fred. 

FP and I share a look but keep our distance with my dad around. Dad pulls me into a hug, but I can't stop watching FP, and he watches me. 

"Please get home safe," Dad demands, holding me as close as possible before going off to find Kevin and make sure he's safe. 

Fred goes off to find Archie and take him home. They might all be good dads, but they lose track of their kids with ease. 

Once Fred is gone, FP scoops me up in his arms, spinning me around. I giggle as the cold air hits my face and I hold tightly onto FP's shoulders. He sets me down, but cups my face. We share a kiss before I start to make my way home. 

"I'm so glad you're safe," he whispers, seeing me off. 

.

.

.

I wake up tied to a chair. A fire crackles, illuminating my surroundings enough for me to see trees all around, and the scary guy from Pop's. I start to squirm, hoping I can free myself from whatever was used to tie me to a chair. Right across the fire, I see a blonde woman, smirking with triumph when she sees me. She takes out a cell phone and continues to stare at me. 

"Hey, Jughead. Good to hear from you." She taunts. My eyes widen. "I have a girl here, who, from what I heard, is the sheriff's daughter and FP's little toy?" She sends me a wicked grin and I glare at her. 

"You leave her alone!" I hear Jughead yell through the other line. 

I continue to squirm, earning the scary man to creep up on me, holding a knife out in front of my face. I start to sob and cry, shaking out of fear. He grins menacingly at me, watching me struggle. The tip of the knife grazes my cheek, going from my temple down to the tip of my chin, making me scream. 

"N-no please! No!" 

"See you soon, Jughead." The woman ends with a smirk, hanging up the phone. 

After a while, the fire starts to die down, making me shiver against the cold metal of the chair. My teeth start to chatter. Fear takes over my thoughts. Maybe this is how I die. At the mercy of these creeps, or from hypothermia. Tears start to fall down my cheeks as the daunting thoughts in my head take over everything else in my brain. 

"FP's little toy" to everyone else, that's all you are.

 He's an older man enjoying the attention from a young girl. 

You're nothing but a prize. You're what some would call a trophy wife.

 You serve no real purpose. 

You write biased articles at a newspaper under the control of an evil man because you can't stand up for anything. 

Your own father and brother can't stand that you've returned. 

You fail at you job, and your relationships. 

You're the reason Dad stepped out on Mom. 

You made things difficult. You still make things difficult. 

Your brother doesn't trust you to know anything about him. 

You've broken his heart. 

All to be somebody's play thing. 

"Leave her the hell alone, Penny." FP demands, breaking the lingering silence. The woman laughs, standing, ready for a fight. 

"The Knight came to rescue his little Princess? Is that right?" She taunts, stepping closer towards FP. Jughead emerges, ready to fight against her. "Oh, Jughead, I'm glad you answered my call for you." She cackles, turning her attention to me. "Why's she so important, anyway? You can shag any young girl dumb enough to get into bed with you." She spits, insulting both me and FP. 

FP's stance changes, anger taking over. His jaw clenches, his fists and his weapons ready. He looks over to see me crying hysterically. 

"Shut the hell up!" I scream, my cries getting through. The woman and her henchmen turn to me, annoyed. 

"Such a drama queen," the woman sneers, laughing again. 

"I don't want a bloodbath, Penny. Just leave her alone and let me take her." He wagers, seeming deflated from his previous attitude. Jughead raises his blade, trying to add intimidation. 

Just then, Cheryl steps out of the shadows, bow and arrow drawn, aimed directly at Penny. I stare in bewilderment. 

"Release her, you sleazy hag." Cheryl demands, threatening to take out Penny's eye. 

Penny snaps her fingers, and the creepy henchmen start to untie the rope around my wrists. FP runs over to take me away from them. He picks me up, carrying me over to his truck. I hear Jughead threaten the woman. Soon, him and Cheryl join us at the truck. 

Eyes heavy, I feel FP set me down in the passenger's seat. Cheryl and Jug get in the back of the truck. I'm hardly conscious when FP starts the engine and pulls away from the camp of my capture. 

After a few minutes of trying to rest and clear my mind, I speak up, hoarse and weak. FP takes my hand in his while his other stays on the wheel. 

"Cheryl, why'd you come to save me?" I croak, glancing back at her. 

She smiles sweetly, "you saved me." 

Her smile holds reassurance that she'll keep my dad out of the loop regarding me and FP. But I can't help the creeping feeling of how right Kevin, Josie, and Cheryl were that night at the diner. The three of them were exactly right.