XXIII

FP let it slip that Betty did the dance at his other "retirement party", so I called her and asked for advice. 

"You're doing the dance?" 

Betty grins, clapping her hands. 

"Okay, so I have some pointers that I'd love to share with you." She gives me a knowing look, still grinning. 

I'm not sure what reaction I expected from her, but it wasn't this. She's very excited and invested in helping me with my Serpent Dance, and impressing FP. 

"I might have something you can wear... Or, maybe my mom-" 

"No!"

Betty stops, waiting for an explanation. I can't help sighing as I try to find the right words. 

"Betty, your mom... dated FP in high school. I don't think he'd like to see me in anything she might've worn... at any point in her younger days." 

Betty's eyes go wide and her face scrunches. 

"Oh...kay! Not that, then," she nods, agreeing. 

In the end, we decided on asking Veronica for style advice, and she insisted on ordering something in from Paris. It felt like an extreme gesture, and I nearly refused, but she is a Lodge, so she was persuasive. Having two sixteen year old girls help me pick out lingerie felt weird, but then again, nothing felt normal in this town.  

The following Friday I'm on my way to the Wyrm. FP filled me in on the details of the Serpent Dance, and assured me it'd be nothing by a private show. 

Deep breath

I know it's nothing too big to worry about, but it's an intimate thing and I want to do it right. It almost feels like I'm losing my virginity again. Once I'm parked at the Wyrm, I tug at my blouse, making sure it's perfect.

I walk into the Wyrm, my chest heaving and my heart pounding. The last time I was this nervous to be here was the first night I met FP for drinks. So much has changed since then. I feel comfortable to be in my hometown again, and I've grown into my own person. I'm finally confident to make decisions for myself without worrying about what my dad would think or do about it. 

Just as FP promised, the bar is empty. He's standing close to the stage, waiting for me. When I come into his line of vision, his mouth falls open. I take this as a good sign and grin walking over to him.

"So I look okay?"

I laugh as his eyes rake over me.

"Let's just say you did the dance and go do something else," FP proposes.

I laugh harder and walk past him, onto the stage. He hits play on the music and I saunter over to pole, trying my best to act sexy. FP cheers me on, trying to encourage me and boost my confidence. 

I remove my blouse and start the dance. As I get into the rhythm of the music, my nerves start to melt away. Seeing FP watching with awe helps. 

"Wow." 

I walk down from the stage and stand in front of him. His mouth slightly agape, he stares up at me. I walk around him and take off his jacket in the process. 

"I believe this is mine?" 

I slip his jacket on and breathe in his scent. He pulls at the unzipped ends, bringing me closer to him. 

"But you're mine." 

He pulls me onto his lap and starts kissing down my chest. 

"I'm glad you closed the bar," I say, gripping his hair in my hands.