IX

After clearing the air with FP, I ask him to take me home. I explain to him that Chic and Kevin are something of an item, whether they're really together or not. I need to keep Kevin safe. I can't, absolutely can't have anything happen to Kevin. It feels like he's all I have left at home. 

FP understands, agreeing to letting me clue Kevin in at least enough to keep him safe and away from Chic. 

"Kevin!" I call, rushing inside. "Kev!" I repeat, waiting for any sense of a reply. I frantically rush around the house to look for him. 

Once I get upstairs, I find him in his room doing homework. 

"Kev!" I exclaim, breathing out a sigh of relief. "I've been calling for you, are you okay?" He assures me he's fine. 

"Are you okay, Kim?" He eyes me. 

I sit next to him on his bed, hugging him. 

"I'm fine, Kev. But you need to know something about Chic-" 

"Betty's already warned me about him." Kev interrupts. "She found us hanging out at her house and took it upon herself to warn me. He's a weird dude. Figures..." Kev explains, grumbling the last part. 

"I'm sorry, Kev. I know it's hard to find anyone in this town." I try to console him. "I'm just so glad you're okay." I admit, hugging him again, burying my head in his chest. 

"Don't worry, Kim. I'm fine, I've managed to keep myself safe until you got back." He assures me, chuckling. "What about your secret guy? How's that going?" He asks, wiggling his eyebrows at me. I let out a laugh. 

"Not too bad, Kev. Not too bad." Is all I can say. "That reminds me, I actually have to go. I just wanted to make sure you're okay." I admit, standing and heading out of his room. He sends me a wave before I close his bedroom door. 

To my surprise, FP stayed outside in his truck, waiting for me. 

"What if that went completely differently? You'd be sitting here for a long time, FP." I suggest, eyeing him. 

"Well at least I'd be here to help, and keep you safe." My heart jumps. "Also," he continues, "I just wanted to tell you that Alice and I had a thing in high school. There's nothing going on between us now, but I wanted you to know. It feels good to get all of this off my chest." I grab his hand, smiling up at him. 

"Thank you for telling me, FP. You have no idea how much I appreciate that." I assure him with a grin. 

I reach up and kiss him. It's been so long since we've been alone, or even around each other. I've missed this. I grab his hand in mine, just wanting to feel close to him. His other hand brushes back my hair, and he deepens the kiss. 

"God, I'm such a lucky man," he sighs after we separate ourselves and he begins to drive, our hands still together. I giggle at his words, admiring his face as he drives. "You staring, Keller?" He glances at me with his signature smirk. 

"How can I not, Jones?" I reply, pecking his lips. 

My heart races the entire drive. I haven't felt like this about anyone in a long time- if ever. He makes me feel safe and cared for, while simultaneously being the sexiest man I've ever met. We've barely even begun whatever this is, and I feel so invested. 

FP pulls up to the Whyte Wyrm and waits for me to get out the truck. We walk in, hands no longer held together. I look around to see a lot of the same faces as last time. But when we get closer to the bar, I see Jughead with a group of kids his age. He approaches us while FP gets us beer. 

"Kim? What're you doing here?" He asks, looking between me and FP. I shrug. 

"After the day I've had, I could use a drink." Jug nods, turning his attention to his group of friends, waving them over. 

Immediately, one of the guys eyes me, not even trying to be subtle. His eyes light up and he smirks at me. They must all take notes from FP. 

"I'm Sweet Pea," he greets, reaching his hand out to shake mine. I chuckle, shaking his hand. "You new here?" 

"This is Kevin's older sister." Jug replies before I get a chance. Sweet Pea nods, looking me up and down again. 

"God, Sweet Pea, take a picture why don't you?" A girl scoffs, rolling her eyes as the high school boy practically drools. "I'm Toni," she greets, also extending a hand. I smile at her, liking her attitude. "Kevin's a sweetie," she adds, beaming. I grin at the compliment. 

"He really is, isn't he?" I agree, unapologetically flattering my younger brother. 

FP hands me my beer and nearly rests his hand on my waist, but stops himself. Instead, he takes a long swig from his bottle. 

"So, you gonna come around here more often?" Sweet Pea asks, still smugly eyeing me.

 I snicker, taking a drink from my own beer. I glance up at FP to gage his reaction, which makes me nearly choke on my drink from laughing. He looks almost disgusted at the young Serpent. FP catches me looking at him and glances down at me with his own smirk. 

"Pea likes to corrupt Northsiders," FP comments, making me actually start to choke on my beer. 

Sweet Pea huffs, looking slightly defeated, but quickly changes his demeanor. He continues to watch me with a proud look on his face. 

"No offense Sweet Pea," I say, catching my breath. "But you're a little too young for me." I decide, gaining reactions from Jughead, Toni, and FP. Toni can't hold back a laugh, and Jughead is clearly amused. FP chuckles, nonchalantly taking another swig from his beer. 

"I just don't go for high schoolers," I continue, shrugging innocently. 

"Or college guys," FP mumbles so only I hear. I look at him again, my ears burning.