XVI

"Kim?" Alice calls, catching my attention. "We have a big day coming up, are you ready?" I nod, anticipating the Mayoral Debate. 

Riverdale will change, again, and I'll witness it this time. 

"Couldn't be more ready, Alice." I grin. I never thought I'd be so invested in journalism. 

"What the hell, Kim?" Jug exclaims, running into the trailer. I shoot up, unsure of why he's so angry. 

"Jug, what's wrong? What happened?" My eyebrows furrowed together. 

"Please, that video you posted was completely confidential!" He yells, his anger taking over him. 

"Wh-what video?" 

He pulls up The Register's website, clicking on the top story, or leak. It's a short clip of Fangs talking with Midge in her dressing room before Opening Night. Fangs comes off worried and defensive. I watch it a handful of times before I speak. 

"Jug, this is the first time I've seen this. I didn't post it." I reply, boring my eyes into his face, hoping he'll believe me. 

He's angry, and if he wants to be angry at me, he will be. He fumes, quietly thinking over who could've leaked the video clip. 

"Well, Fangs was arrested. So, whether it was you or not, he needs our help to get him out." With that, Jug storms out of the trailer, ready to hop on his bike. 

"Wait!" I call, following him out of the trailer. "Jug, please let me go with you? I could help, somehow?" I plead, desperately wanting to keep the Serpents out of negative light. 

I know that sheriff's station like the back of my hand. If anything seems off, I'd be the first to realize it. 

Reluctantly, Jughead gestures for me to get on his bike. He snags his dad's helmet for me and we rush to the sheriff's station. Once we get there, Fangs stands, behind bars, speaking with Attorney McCoy. I freeze, tensing at her presence. I've never met her in person. I only know her as the woman responsible for my broken home. 

Jughead catches me standing back. He turns, finding me with my teeth gritted. He slings his arm around me, offering any comfort he can, and we head over to Fang's holding cell. 

"Hello, Jughead. Hi, Kim, it's nice to finally meet you!" She greets, looking between us with a smile. 

I struggle to hold back an eye-roll, Jug pulls me closer to his shoulder, trying his best to keep me calm. Maybe I shouldn't have come. 

"Sierra." I nod. "Do you have any idea who released the video of Fangs with Midge? Jughead shot the footage, but then he handed it over to the new Sheriff. Are you two close?" I try, earning a stern look from Jughead and astonishment from Fangs. 

Mrs. McCoy recoils, shocked by me venomous remarks. She clears her throat. 

"Um, well... I was just telling Fangs that he's being held for possession of a weapon, not necessarily for any allegations regarding Midge Klump." 

Jughead relaxes at the news. Before I can say more, he rushes me out of the building. 

"Damn, Kim, are you bitter?" He tries to joke, only earning a glare from me. "That's a yes. Spoken like a snake." He comments, referring to the Serpents. 

His attempt to lighten my mood nearly work. Meeting the woman my dad chose over my mom, though, it was too much. It didn't help any case for me rekindling things with my dad.