XXII

After hearing the news that Hal Cooper was the Black Hood, I decide it might be nice to check in on Betty and Alice. 

A group of loiterers wanting something to post about on social media are standing around outside their front door, yelling and pointing cameras. I shove passed them and knock firmly on the Cooper's front door. 

I hear a muffled "go away" from inside. 

"It's Kim!" I announce, knocking more delicately. 

The multiple locks click and Alice pulls back the door just enough to poke her face out to see that it's really me. Her face softens and she opens the door wider to let me inside and slams it on the rest of the trespassers. 

"Thanks for stopping by, Kim. It means a lot," she forces a weak smile before sighing and collapsing onto the couch. "I can't believe it was under my nose the whole time... My own husband." She shakes her head in disbelief. 

"How's Betty?" I ask, sitting down next to Alice. 

"She'll be fine, I think she had a hunch the whole time." 

After a beat she continues. 

"He was contacting her, orchestrating all kinds of clues... Those damn letters with the code from that Nancy Drew book... He thought she 'held the same darkness' as him. What does that even mean? My Betty's not a murderer." 

I nod, pulling Alice into a side hug to offer her comfort and support. 

"If you need anything, I'm here to help. Okay, Alice?" I assure her. "And I know FP wouldn't hesitate to help out an old friend in need." I offer her a warm smile, which she returns more genuinely this time. 

"I really appreciate that, Kimberly, thank you." 

After spending the rest of the afternoon with Alice, I decide to head over to the trailer. When I knock, Jughead answers. His many cuts and wounds are healing rather well, and his face is nearly back to normal. 

FP stands in the kitchen, gathering up hamburgers and hotdogs, along with buns, mustard, and ketchup. 

"What's going on over here?" 

"The Serpents are meeting later today, I'm assuming you'd like to come?" Jughead answers. 

"Am I allowed?" I wonder, glancing between the Jones. 

"I'll allow it," FP says, smiling at me knowingly. "I'll let you dance for me later." He adds, being sure that Jug is out of ear-shot. 

"Wha-" 

With that, I help them load up FP's truck and we head over to a secluded edge by Sweetwater River. There's Serpents all around, music, and a fire pit. 

"This is a nice set up!" I admire, surprised. 

"Thank you m'lady," FP replies, walking passed me carrying the many burgers and dogs. 

I offer to take over our cooler and find a nice spot for us to set up camp. Jug follows, grabbing the folding chairs. To my surprise, I see Cheryl here with Toni. I didn't think Cheryl would be allowed to come, but then again I'm allowed to be here. 

"Y'know, my dad used to bring me and Kev to swim up here in the summer. And the summers my mom was home were the best ones. We'd come up here as a family, splash around, then head back into town for dinner at Pop's." 

Jughead says nothing after I recount my little memory, but he hands me a beer. 

"How is your mom, by the way? Does she know about the..." 

"I don't know, I haven't had a chance to call her, so I doubt Dad's told her anything." I roll my eyes, taking a long swig of my beer. 

Before Jughead can reply, FP calls him up to the makeshift stage where the music and speakers are set up. 

"I'm stepping down as the leader of the Serpents, but my son will take great care of you, I know that." 

There's a mix of surprise and applause throughout the group of Serpents. FP hands Jughead a red Serpents jacket and steps off stage, walking over to me. I'm captivated, watching Jughead call Cheryl up and hand her the custom leather. 

"You want one of those?" FP asks. 

I laugh. 

"Yeah, right, my dad would kill me." 

"You're a grown woman." FP defends, trying to persuade me. "Besides, that's what you said about us and we're doing better than ever." He grins down at me, pulling me into his chest. 

"So, how would I get one of those?" 

"You gotta do the dance, baby." 

"Right, that. What is that dance?"