III

"Alright," Alice starts, looking to me to make sure I'm listening. "Seeing as Hal and I aren't on the best terms right now, you're my second in command." I nod quickly, trying to contain my nerves. 

This last week of training at The Register has been extremely informative, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go hunting for any hard-hitting journalism just yet. Alice smiles at me, and I return it nervously. Alice is a crazy intimidating woman. She exudes power and confidence. I used to think I had the same demeanor, but seeing her proves I have a lot of work to do on that front. I've read up on some recent issues of The Register to see what kinds of story are the norm for publishing. There were a lot on the recent suspicious activity going on throughout the town: Jason Blossom's murder, Clifford Blossom's drug schemes, the Black Hood. It's all so intense and unnerving. In all of the issues I brushed up on, one name continued to pop up, FP Jones. After seeing his picture on the front page of one issue, I know that's the man who works at Pop's– Jughead's dad. 

Never could I have imagine him to be a criminal, though most of the articles conclude that he was falsely accused. Still, there must be something off about him if he's accused at all. 

"Um," I start, trying to get Alice's attention. "What're the Southside Serpents?" I read about them in many of the same articles pertaining to FP, and one article about 'The Sugar-Man'. Riverdale has truly gotten messy over the years. 

Alice turns around sharply, looking at me with her signature intimidating look. 

"They're a gang from the other side of town." Alice replies, her voice full of disgust. "They cause a lot of trouble here in Riverdale, but there's no getting rid of them." She sighs, sitting at her desk. I nod, comprehending her words. 

After a few hours of Alice coaching me on journalism and the importance credibility and competence, it's lunch time. 

"Would you like me to run for lunch? I could grab us something from Pop's." I offer, trying to be as helpful as possible. Alice looks at me with a smile that I've only seen a handful of times. 

"Sure thing, thanks, Kim." She agrees, sounding warmer than before. 

Walking to Pop's I mull over the information I've been fed over the last few days, trying to digest everything I've found out and been told to remember. I applaud Alice for her dedication to journalism and her paper. She takes her work very seriously and I can't help but admire her drive. Surely, with a town like Riverdale and it's scandals, The Register has been busier than ever. 

Entering Pop's, the comforting smell of grease hits me, making me smile. I walk up to the counter and start to feel uneasy. The memory of my dream creeps into my mind, dragging me away from my surroundings. My thoughts take over, drowning out the people and sounds around me. 

"Kim?" I hear someone ask, looking at me expectantly and slightly worried. 

I pull myself out of my thoughts and look up to the person in front of me: none other than FP. 

"Uh, hi," I breathe, trying to stifle the blush rising to my cheeks. "Two classic burgers, one coffee, and one chocolate shake. To go." I recite, trying to be as quick as I can in order to avoid getting flustered in his presence. 

"Sure thing," he nods, turning back to the kitchen to give Pop the order. I sigh, resting on one of the barstools, and gaze around the diner. There's not much of a lunch rush, but there's definitely a few full tables. 

After about twenty minutes, FP returns with a bag and our drinks. 

"Order up," he says almost mockingly, smiling at me, making my knees weak. I have to psych myself up to stand before I take the bag. The last thing I need is to collapse on the floor of Pop's over a handsome smile. 

"Thanks," I say meekly, smiling as calmly as I can, taking the bag in one hand the drinks in the other. 

"Let me get the door for you," he offers, rushing from behind the counter to open the door for me. "It was good to see you again, Kim." He says, smiling at me as I walk passed him, out the door. 

"You too, thanks again, FP." I reply, sounding less timid than before, surprising myself.

 I can feel his eyes on me as I head back down the street to take Alice a well-deserved burger. I smile to myself and a blush creeps up my face. That man has a power over me, and I need to get myself together. I can't be walking around acting like a school girl, but there's no helping how he makes me feel. 

Later that night, I'm sitting in the kitchen doing research for The Register, and I start to daydream. Kev comes in shaking me out of my thoughts. 

"Kim!"  He exclaims, bounding in with quick strides. "The girls would love for you to join me for a sleepover!" Kev exclaims with a glint in his eye, showing his excitement to integrate me into his friend group.

"Seriously?" I laugh, not sure how to break it to him that I'm not up for hanging out with him and his high school besties. He looks at me expectantly. "I don't know, Kev..." He starts to pout and give me his puppy dog eyes. 

"V would love it if you came! She really wants to give you a house tour!" Kev tries to sway me. "She lives in a penthouse, Kim." He adds, whispering in a way to make it seem extraordinary. 

I decline his invitation and opt for a night in with Dad instead. We haven't really had any time to catch up since I've been back, and I could ask him about some things useful for The Register. Kev sulks off, with a huff. He can pout, but I told him I'd hang out with them all another time. 

"We could all go to the drive-in!" I offer, to which Kevin sighs, fighting to not roll his eyes. 

"Can't, it's closed down," he replies sullenly. 

"What?!" I exclaim. 

I loved the drive-in growing up. Whenever I got good grades, Dad would treat me to a milkshake at Pop's and movie at the drive-in. It was the perfect incentive to keep me learning. Every time Mom came to visit we'd go over to the drive-in and watch a cheesy chick-flick. I went on my first date at the drive-in. The drive-in was  a key part of my childhood. 

"The Serpents trashed it which made people stop going. It devalued, and the Lodge's bought the land. It's all a part of some bigger project." Kev explains, still just as down in the dumps. I blink back tears, mourning the loss of my favorite place. 

Once Dad gets home, we make dinner together and have some nice talks throughout the evening. He asks how work is going. Honestly, it's a great job. I love finding out more and more about my hometown the longer I stay. My heart still hurts after hearing about the drive-in, so I ask Dad about the Lodge's. 

"Hiram was in prison when they bought it," he starts, taking a bite of his food. I gasp. "Kev's friend Jughead tried to fight for the place, but he couldn't do much against a big corporation. Lodge Industries has bought a lot of land in our little town." Dad sighs. "They actually technically own The Register." I soak up everything Dad says like a sponge. 

Hearing more and more about the Lodge's makes me wonder what they could be orchestrating under the surface. It sounds to me like they wait till a business loses value and then they practically steal the property. I'd love to do a piece on this, but if they own The Register, Alice would never go for it. Unless, of course, I spin the article in a positive light...