XXIV

"Oh, my God..." Kevin gawks, admiring my new leather serpents jacket. 

I do a spin, enjoying Kevin's admiration. After seeing Cheryl's gorgeous red jacket, I asked FP if it could be customized with studs around the sleeve cuffs, and on the collar. Now that it's personalized I love it even more. I even sprayed FP's cologne on it so that it would smell like him when we're apart. It's a comfort, and a reassurance. 

"I didn't think I would like it on you, but... It looks amazing, Kim." Kevin continues to gush. 

I can't hold back the smile that breaks out on my face at his compliments. I can't remember the last time things felt this right and peaceful. 

Dad knocks on my door, and opens it before getting a response. 

"Hey, Kev, have you-" he stops, his eyes glued to my attire, scanning over my jacket. "What the hell is that?" 

"Shit..." I whisper, trying to hide behind Kevin. 

"Kim?"  Dad pushes, his voice stern and chilling. 

Kevin and I lock eyes, both panicking. Kevin stutters, trying to find an excuse. 

"Uh... We um...We-" 

"It's mine, Dad." I state firmly. 

I'm an adult, and if Dad has any major issues with me being my own person, then we need to face it. 

"What?" Dad snaps, his lips tense, barely letting the word out. 

Kevin stands in front of me, ready to brace me against Dad's anger. Usually, I'm the one protecting Kevin, but Dad is fuming. Kevin's significantly taller and sturdier than me, too, so it's fair to let him protect me now. 

"Dad, I'm almost 25, I think it's fair to let me make my own life choices." Dad lets out a breath through his nose, lips in a thin line, eyebrows raised. 

"I'm sorry, so you joined a gang?" He yells, losing any composure he might have had. 

"Well..." I start, but then stop to think. 

Now's as good a time as any to spill the beans and clue Dad in on everything I've been up to. I would rather not tell him, but if he knows this much, I might as well tell him the rest. My breath comes out shaky, and my hands match in demeanor. Kevin snaps his head to look back at me, eyes wide in disbelief. 

"Kim, I'm a police officer and a source of safety in this town. Do you really think having my daughter in some dangerous, rowdy gang is the best thing to convince the town that they're safe with me as law enforcement? Are you kidding me, Kim?" 

I don't remember the last time I've seen Dad this angry. He was understanding when I wanted to leave town for school, and nothing but accepting when Kevin felt comfortable enough to come out. But now he looks like he could hurt me he's so angry. 

"Dad..." I start, letting out another shaky breath. "I didn't just join the serpents on a whim, okay?" Kevin looks quickly between me and Dad, waiting to see who will do what. "I didn't even think about how this would make you look, I'm sorry about that. But... I fell in love with someone who happens to be in the serpents." 

Kevin gulps, pulling his shirt collar away from his neck as if to allow more air. 

"Who?" Dad challenges, stepping slightly closer to us. "There aren't even any members close to your age, Kim... You're not dating a high schooler, are you?" He worries, face full of concern for my stability and well-being. 

Kevin chokes on air, waiting for me to deliver the punchline. 

"Hah, no, um..." I look down at my floor, fiddling my hands and sucking in my lips, afraid to finally let it all out into the open. "It's FP Jones." I mumble, hoping maybe he wont hear me and wont ask me to repeat it.