29

the day

"Woobin, I'm sorry." I tell him as I see his widened eyes and the shocked look on his face, "I'm sorry because I played you."

My heart breaks with every sentence that I speak.

Look into my eyes and see that I'm lying, I want to tell him that but I'm a wonderful pretender and I don't know myself so how can he see through my mask?

"I'm sorry because I pretended as if I actually liked being next to you," I spat as I held the blade in the air, "One thing I'm not sorry about is killing you."

"What are you talking about?" He asks me as he takes a step close to me and I take two steps back.

Please don't make things hard for me, Woobin.

"I'm finally speaking the truth," I force out my next words and it takes all my will to not cry, "Kill me if you must but I shall not bow to a King who wears a crown studded with the jewels of every life he has ended."

"Soyeon!" His hollow voice echoes in the large throne room, the sacred throne room where taking out your sword is forbidden.

"Do you think anyone can love you?" I ask him as I laugh mercilessly, "You're a monster, you're just like your father."

"Stop, I order you to stop." He warns me and I see the fire in his eyes and at the same time, the door opens and a figure barges in.

"Oh my," Taeil's eyes widens as he sends a signal through his eyes and I know what to do next.

"What is happening here, this is an act of treason!" He yells as he steps a foot outside the door but I move my sword towards him.

"Close the door and come back inside or else, your King will die." I hiss at him, my heart shrivels as he pretends to act scared and stands next to Woobin.

"I will die with my King, I will give up my life for him so if you want to kill him then you must go through me." Taeil tempts me as he stands infront of Woobin.

Woobin pushes Taeil backwards as he steps close to me. My heart rumbles loudly, just like the sky when it thunders. I throw my sword away and shakily reach inside my sleeve where the poison is secured. I take it out and hold the bottle in front of Woobin.

"Does this seem familiar to you?" I ask him as I walk around in a circle, "It's the same poison that my Mother used to poison me and now I'll kill you with it."

"Soyeon, I love you and you know that. I'm not like my father but if you disagree then I'll drink this poison and die because I don't want to be a tyrant ruler like him. I'll drink this, if that's what you want." He tells me as his hand grabs mine and encloses the small bottle.

Why are you making this so hard for me?

My eyes meet Taeil's cunning one's and he nods at me. His lips turn upward in a gruesome grin as he waits for me to kill the man that I love, the man that is our King.

This is it, I think to myself.

"That is what I want," my shrill voice thunders in the room, "One of us has to die today and that's you."

I feel the emptiness in his eyes as his grip loosens on my hand and I take that chance to push him away. He falls on Taeil and it takes them a moment to know what's happening.

I open the bottle and gulp down its contents in a sip. My eyes meet Woobin's shocking one's as my lips tilt upwards in a smile, "I love you."

"No!" Taeil yells as he pushes Woobin away and stands up, "You had to kill him, you ruined the plan."

Woobin's eyes widens as he connects the dots. My vision starts turning blurry as I blink and try to see what's happening but it's of no use.

I see Woobin's silhouette pick up something from the ground and I hear a loud slash and someone falling on the ground, that's the last thing I see before my legs give up on me and I fall on the cold, hard floor.

I take slow breaths as the poison kicks in, affecting my organs.

I feel a breath on me as someone shakes me, "Wake up, please wake up, Soyeon, I can't lose you again!"

I feel content because Woobin is alive and my last words to him were that I love him.

I feel something wet drip on my face and I want to wake up and wipe Woobin's precious tears but I can't move a limb.

and then I hear nothing,
everything just stops.
I feel no tears,
and there's no pain.

Everything feels numb and quiet before I too, plunge into darkness.