10

I stop Jinheung before he leaves with Wang Eunwoo to shoot some arrows. It's a Royal Tradition to be good at hunting and archery and no one expects any less from Jinheung, "Thank you for sending your brother and cousin to look after me when I was sick."

"What?" he asks as a puzzled look etches onto his face, "I don't know what you're talking about." That is the last thing I hear him say before his royal guard Seungmin tells him that Wang Eunwoo is waiting for him.

I am left confused as I think about whether it was Wang Woobin who did it or not but I don't think he is capable of performing an act of kindness.

I run a hand through my hair as I make my way to my room, this Palace feels like a cage to me. After all, a golden cage is still a cage. It would remain a cage even if you add thousands of amusing activities in it. The fact that I don't have the permission to roam around still remains there.

I walk with my head hung low as I stare at how my feet push the gown in front of me until I see a pair of shoes and I stop in my track. It's Wang Woobin and he's looks at me for a solid minute before he turns around and says, "Follow me."

I scoff to myself as I ponder if I should follow him or not. He is not my King, I don't have to obey him but something in me forces me to follow him. I trail behind him and this time I don't mind being lead by someone because I don't know the Palace but I bet he knows it like the back of his hand.

We walk through the hallway and up the stairs to reach our destination. It is a terrace on a sloped ground that shows the entire Kingdom. It's honestly so mesmerizing that I hold my breath as I step close to the edge. I open my arms as I close my eyes and enjoy the wind flowing past me. It reminds me back of my home.

"You'll fall if you get to close." Wang Woobin says as he grabs my sleeve and pulls me back softly, "I wouldn't want that now, would I?"

I don't miss the cryptic tone in his voice as I ask, "What do you mean?"

He lips raise up in a smirk as he states, "I wouldn't let harm come towards Wang Jinheung's so called betrothed, would I?"

I step away from him as I fix the wrinkles from my dress, "Why are you so persistent? Why don't you want me to marry Jinheung?"

"It's Wang Jinheung," he corrects me as he takes a step close to me, "I don't trust you."

"Then why did you bring me here?" I ask him as I turn around and my gaze falls on the guards and common workers who are busy preparing for coronation, His coronation.

Wang Woobin ignores me as he stands next to me and stretches his hand forward and closes his fist as if holding something, "Sometimes I can't believe that I have to rule this entire country, I don't think I am ready for that."

My heart tugs a little as a confused look etches onto my face, "What do you mean? Don't you trust yourself?" Yes, you shouldn't, you can't rule this country.

He retreats his hand as he stares at Wang Eunwoo downstairs who's laughing and pushing around Jinheung, "He seems like a better King than me."

"Wang Woobin-" I open my mouth but he cuts me off as he stares at me and sighs, "Call me Woobin, I want to feel like a normal man around one person, just one person."

"But you don't trust me." I tell him as I wave to Jinheung who shoots me a worried look from the orchard.

"I don't trust you so it would hurt much less when you'd betray me." He tells me as his dark orbs stare in mine. How does he know?  Why did he say when instead of if?

We stand together, shoulder to shoulder as we witness the sun going down. The red and orange hues visible in the sky, making everything look surreal and beautiful.

"Do you know what happened to the previous King?" he asks me as his eyes stay fixed at the sun which is now barely visible in the horizon.

"Not the full truth," I lie as I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, "What happened to him?"

"Wang Rin was a noble King, he cared for his subjects and was known as a just and kind ruler but his brother didn't like that. He hated how he wasn't the Crown Prince and how he had no real power, not the one that the King possessed so he framed him."

He takes a pause and ruffles his hair letting out a sigh, "I don't want to be a King like that."

I feel an ache in my chest as I pry for more, I know it's wrong of me to take advantage of his vulnerable state but I can't help myself, "What happened to him?"

Something snaps in Woobin as he tilts his head and stares at me, "I'll tell you the rest later."

"This is confined knowledge, we don't talk about this anymore." He tells me as he sighs again, "I can't believe I let my guard down."

"I won't tell anyone," I promise him as I smile softly, I know this and that's enough.

"Can you come here at night?" he asks me as his gaze burns through me, "I'll tell you the parts of my history if you agree to come."

It sounds tempting but how would I escape Jinheung and his questions. I don't like to live in regrets and worries so I answer immediately, "I will come when darkness takes over, I will come when the stars shine in the sky," I look at him and whisper, "I'll be here."

I see a small smile on Woobin's face and that makes me feel happy. Why are my feelings changing so much? I can't even understand them. What is happening to me?

I stare at Woobin with a smile and he does the same.

Behind that smile, I see a young boy being thrown in the harsh world. I see him fighting for his loved ones and all the things that he cared about. I feel a twinge of sadness as I realize that we are not much different.

With a jolt, I realise that I have to be different because I am ruthless and I will destroy him

p i e c e
                b y
                     p i e c e

until he shatters and falls apart.