24

I take a step forward, revealing myself under the moonlight.

"Who are you?"

The man doesn't hesitate a second before he takes of his hood and reveals his face. It's a face that I've seen next to Woobin a lot. Although I never knew him well, his betrayal still hurts.

"Prime Minister Choi," my voice echoes into the silent night, "you're a traitor?"

"Am I really?" He asks as he chuckles, "I am not loyal to the King but I'm loyal to you."

Within a second, he falls down on his knees and bows at me. My eyes widen as I take a step back.

"What are you doing?" I whisper as he raises his head but remains in a sitting position.

"I proclaim you my Queen and I surrender my life to you."

"What is this?" I ask as I look around to see more people gathering in the courtyard, I count them and they're close to twenty.

"We want revenge on our dead Queen," a woman's voice speaks up.

"We want to avenge our exiled King." I hear a gruff voice.

"We want to make their daughter our queen." They protest into the silent night and my blood runs cold as I realise that I'm alone.

No one is coming to my aid, I'm all alone.

"What did you do to the guards?" I ask helplessly as I stare at the familiar and unfamiliar faces.

"They're alive, hurt but alive." Taeil walks up towards me and stares at the sky.

Taeil, the astronomer, the one who always stood next to the King was a traitor.

Young ho, the cook, who always smiles at the royal family before he presents them their favourite dishes is a traitor.

General Jihan, Hana's father, the man who is responsible for Woobin's army, who has his absolute trust is a traitor.

"How can you do this to your daughter?" I cry outrageously as I stare at the General, "You're betraying your own daughter."

"I am doing no such thing," he tells me coolly as he looks around and smiles, "I'm just securing a bright future for her and you'll help me."

"You're insane, you're horrible." I tell him as my heart rumbles inside my chest.

"Lady Soyeon, when this war is over, you have to fight for Hana, you'll let everyone know that she had nothing to do with this." He instructs me as I stare into his vulnerable eyes.

"Why would I do that?" I ask him as I scoff, "You should handle the consequences of your actions yourself."

"Lady Soyeon," he warns me with a threatening tone, "You're crossing a dangerous line."

"Why won't you be there to defend your daughter?" I ask him as I sigh.

"Some people fight to die and some fight to live. I'm doing both, my Queen. I have to do this but I know that I won't survive after this. I wish to give my life in this battle." He bows his head at me and smiles.

This is messed up, I think to myself as my thoughts swirl inside in my head.

Taeil takes a step forward and begins, "The stars are in your favour, Lady Soyeon. You must take your rightful throne before-"

"What if I don't?" I ask as I take a step back and realise that I'm quite close to the wall, "What if I don't want the throne?"

"We maybe small in number but we're rising. All across the country, our influence is growing and you can't stop us. Most of the officials and ministers are on our side and you can't differentiate between the loyal and disloyal ones. Even if you don't want the throne, you have to take it." Young ho chuckles humourlessly as he flicks his hand and a shadow appears behind me.

"I've got my eyes on you," I hear a whisper and my blood runs cold, "One wrong move and I'll kill you. We don't care if you're our Queen or not, but you have to be loyal to us." His blade comes close to my neck and I feel fire in my veins, I'm not scared.

"Seungmin, how could you?" I ask, my eyes widened and my fists clenched beside me.

"Lady Soyeon, this is bigger than me and you. You should be thankful that we united over such a noble cause. We did our part and now you have to fulfil yours." My Head Maid steps forward as she looks at me with warmth in her eyes.

Even you? I trusted you but maybe I was a fool for doing that. I want to tell her that but my voice gets stuck in my throat.

"You've got five days to kill Woobin," Seungmin states as he moves away and the group of people start to disperse, "Five days or else you'll be responsible for all the blood that will be shed."

"You can't do this to me." My hollow voice echoes in to the night as I fall on my knees, "You cannot do this to me."

A sob escapes my throat as I hit my chest repeatedly and cry into the serene night whose beauty mocks my broken soul.

why me?

x x x

Five days left

"Lady Soyeon," Siwon calls my name and I paste a small smile on my face as I walk towards him and Woobin who is engaged in a talk with Taeil.

I bow my head as I stand next to him, "What is it?"

"We-" he sighs as he looks at my face, "We've agreed on a date."

"Oh," I whisper before my eyes meet Woobin's, "What did you decide? I'll be happy with any date."

"The day after tomorrow," he states as he nods towards Taeil and continues, "Our astronomer says that the stars will be aligned in your favour that day."

"That's not the only reason, is it?" I ask as I look at Woobin.

"The uprisings are getting worse with each day, I'm sorry that the wedding is so sudden and that it'll be small and exclusive. You don't deserve that but time is running short." Woobin tells me, his eyes full of guilt.

"It's okay," I smile as I stare at Taeil who maintains a cool demeanour, "The sooner it is, the better."

"I'll take my leave then." I tell the group of gentlemen as I turn around and place a foot forward.

"Soyeon," Woobin stops me and I feel the tightness in his tone, "I called Wang Rin, he'll arrive tomorrow."

why me?
Is it because I was ungrateful all my life and took people for granted?

why me?
I ask life as I nod my head slowly.

"Thank you," I whisper as a tear escapes my eye, "Our talk has been due for so long."

I will finally meet him as my father, not my mentor.

It's okay to believe, I told myself.
Things will get better, things have to get better.

x x x

How are you all today?

If there's anything that is confusing or if there are any theories that you have, then feel free to share them with me.