18

"Yeon-ah, promise me when I become the King, you'll marry me." He intertwined his pinky finger with the girl's as he smiled at her hopefully.

The girl shook her head as she pouted, "I know you will forget me, Woo, you were never great at keeping your promises."

"I won't forget you even if I lose my memories." The little boy smiled widely and his smile reminded me of the sun, it was too bright and cheerful. It seemed familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.

"Why do I have to leave?" The girl asked as tears sprang in her eyes, "Why do I have to leave you and this palace?"

"Bad men," he whispered as he hid his face in his hands, "Bad men are after you, Yeon. They'll kill you if they find you."

"I'm scared," The girl mumbled as she wiped a stray tear from her friend's eye, "but don't worry, I'll defend myself, Woo. I'll protect myself and mother."

"Yeon," he stopped breathing as he stared into her eyes, "Your mother is dead, she won't come back. You saw my father kill him, you told me about it."

"I did?" The girl asked nervously as she saw the shadow of a boy behind her, "I don't remember."

"Are you real, Yeon?" The boy hiccuped as he cried, "Didn't you die?"

I wake up drenched in my own sweat. My breath comes in rough haggards as my hair clings to my face. My head hurts as I think about the nightmare that I had.

I get out of bed with soft and careful steps and make my way towards the archway as I wear a soft robe over my night gown.

An unknowing smile creeps on my face as I step through the door and enter the hallway. The cold breeze welcomes me and I feel a bit better already. I stare at the stars and smile, they look so bright and beautiful. I want to shine like them, I want to illuminate someone's sky like them.

"I like it when you smile."

A voice startles me and I jump around in surprise. I keep a hand on my heart as I squint my eyes to get a better look at Woobin.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him as my eyes widen, "You're the King now, you shouldn't be here."

"I know you won't let harm come to me," He smiles as he pats the space next to him, "I trust you despite all the crap that I said at the beginning."

I nod my head softly as I sit next to him, maintaining a small distance between us. I incline my head towards the sky and stare at the stars, those mighty combustions of constellation that bring me joy.

"Why are you still awake?" He questions me, his brown eyes filled with concern.

"I had a nightmare but I don't want to talk about that right now," I whisper softly into the silent night.

"Can I tell you my tale tonight?" I ask Woobin and I immediately feel him stiffen next to me.

I wait for a few minutes as we sit in peaceful silence. I enjoy his company as he leaves me alone with my thoughts.

"I was angry and blind by hatred when I came here but I felt comforted by you, Eunwoo and Jinheung. I didn't knew you at all yet my heart trusted you and felt safe around you. Your soul felt familiar to me," I wipe my tears and laugh weakly, "You should've told me sooner that I'm Soyeon, I'm not hurting because I don't have much memories of Soyeon but it's clear that all of you have."

"You know," He whispers as his eyes trail up to mine, "Soyeon, Soyeon," He breaths out, "You don't know how much I missed calling you that."

"Can you tell me about me?" I ask him as he intertwines his hand with mine and stares at it.

"I remember when you were born," he chuckles as his eyes travel somewhere far, "There was a huge celebration in the palace because the King had a daughter. Wang Rin was so happy that he arranged a huge feast for all the people."

"As you grew up, you always sticked around with me, I taught you how to shoot an arrow, how to hold a blade, how to defend yourself and you learned all those things at a young age because you, Soyeon wanted to depend on no one and then I saw you die with my own eyes, we all did."

He takes a shaky breath as he strokes my hair, "You were poisoned by your mother who was later killed by my father. I'm sorry for that but you should know that I'm nothing like him. I promise you that."

"I know, Woobin." I tell him despite the longing feeling in my chest for my dead mother, "I know that you're much better than your father. You'll be a wonderful King."

"I thought I lost you," He gulps as he stares at me, "I thought that you died until Siwon wrote to us and told us that he took you to Wang Rin's. He told us that you had no memories of your childhood and of us. I cried that day, you were my best friend, Soyeon but you forgot me."

I blink rapidly to avoid my tears from escaping as I let out a weak chuckle, "I'm so terrible, I'm sorry for hurting you."

He doesn't listen to my apology and continues. I let him speak because he needs to empty his heart out, he's been carrying these feelings since a long time.

"He told us that you went by the name of Eunha and that you were a lot more vengeful now. He told us how you trained day and night to take your revenge."

"Woobin," I interrupt him as I gaze into his sorrowful eyes, "I came here for a purpose, I came here to ruin all of you but I can't. I don't want to take revenge anymore."

"Soyeon, this is much more than revenge." He whispers as he chuckles weakly, "Wang Rin sent you here for a purpose, he knows that we needed help but he never could've imagined that you were his daughter."

"I don't know what to do," I tell him honestly, "I don't know my own heart right now, I'm a mess and I don't know how to fix myself."

"You don't have to, Soyeon," he whispers as he leans close to me, "You're perfect the way you are."

My heart tells me to lean in and I do that. I kiss him and it feels monumental as if it holds great value and I know that it'll change things between us but I don't stop because I want things to change, I want it to be me and him against the whole world.

x x x

Hope you're all having a good summer <3