Chapter 35

I switch off my phone, tucking it into my pocket. Who is this person and what does he want with me? Why would he want to hurt Zander?

Tears unwillingly flow down my cheeks. I wipe them away, taking in deep breaths to calm down my racing heart. Whatever I do, I need to protect Zander and watch my back while I'm at it.

I turn to Zander's direction. He's standing in a queue, talking to the woman who was on the other side of the counter. She quickly wrote down the orders, while he waited patiently.

As if sensing my presence, he looks my way, smiling at me before turning back to the woman. The woman tells him something, and he nods starting to walk towards me.

My mind zones out to the threat that has been laid out before me. Why would someone want to go after Zander, just to get to me? It's always the situation. When someone wants something thst always try to take it indirectly. And right now, this enemy wants me, but in all this Zander will have to be killed.

I can't let anyone hurt Zander. No matter what I do. Zander's strong scent brings me back to reality, as I feel his presence behind me.

He brings his face right next to mine from behind, kissing me on my cheeks.

"What's wrong, love?" His question caught me off guard.

"What do you mean? I'm perfectly alright," I lied. If I told Zander about these threats, he would be furious. And I don't know what he would do.

"Don't lie to me, princess." He walks towards the chair beside mine and takes a seat. "Your cheeks were wet when I kissed you. Your eyes have turned slightly red. And your heart is racing. I feel your anxiety, love," he takes my hand in his, looking me in the eye.

I look away knowing well that he has fully figured me out. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

How can I tell him that I'm in danger. And that if he doesn't let me go, he will die. All this is absurd.

I feel Zander's hand on my chin, when he gently turns my face towards him.
"Love, are you sure everything is
alright?" He asked genuinely. His voice was nothing more than a whisper. His eyes bore into mine. Filled with waves of worry and concern.

"Yes, Zander. Everything is alright. Nothing to worry about. Now, where's my ice cream at. Mama's hungry," I try my best to change the subject.

Zander notices, but let's it slide.

"If you say so, princess," he kisses the back of my hand. "Just remember that I'm here to talk. Whenever you need me, I'll be by your side," he reassures me.

I place my hand on his, murmuring thanks.

Our orders arrive just in time. A waiter approaches us, with a huge ice cream sundae standing tall on a silver platter.

I eyes watch as it is set on our table. In front of me stood a huge ice cream sundae. My favourite flavour as well. Mint chocochip flavoured ice cream.

"How the hell did you know this was my favourite?" I questioned Zander, my mouth half full with the ice cream Zander and I were sharing.

I dug in more, enjoying the scrumptious taste it brought to my taste buds. This ice cream is so heavenly.

"Well that's a coincidence, my love. Mint chocochip is my favourite as well," he spoke taking a bite from the ice cream.

"Really. Wow, who knew we loved the same ice cream flavour. We probably have a lot in common," I say to him.

An idea popped up in my head. "How about a game of twenty one questions. At least then we will be able to know each other," I suggested.

Zander cocked his head to the side, nodding in agreement. "Sure. That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm in," he leaned forward, interested in my proposal.