Chapter 40

"I killed him," Zander whispered into the wind. "I killed him with my bare hands. Yet he's back. He f*cking came back," he dug his fingers into the moist soil, digging deep into it.

Zander's confession felt like a pool of blood being thrown all over me. Colouring me red. Never had I thought Zander would be so cruel, much less kill someone.

"Why?" I blurted out, causing Zander to stop his digging, turning to face me. "Why did you kill him?" I needed answers and I needed them now.

"I did all this for you, Alyssa. Only for you," he replied, taking my hand in his, as he gently stroked it. I take my hand away, Zander's touch feeling foreign to me. His eyes filled with sadness, as he quickly covered it up, and turned away. Not willing to face me.

"If I tell you everything, you'll hate me. All the trust you had in me will vanish," he whispered, standing up, not bothering to dust off all the dirt that gathered on his pants. He walked towards a nearby tree, leaning onto it, his back facing me.

"Tell me why you killed, Xavier. Tell me why I keep seeing him even when he is dead. Tell me why he is after me. Tell me everything. I deserve to know the whole damn truth," my voice raised slightly, as I stood up as well.

Zander sighs out in frustration, running a hand through his hair, he turns around, looking straight into my eyes. Letting out a ragged breath, he walks towards me, sitting on the exact spot. I sit next to him, arms crossed, awaiting answers to all my unanswered questions.

"All this happened eleven months ago in this same pack. Before I met you," Zander started off, his voice barely audible.

"All the Alphas of Nirvana had gathered together for an urgent meeting. Xavier and I as well as Alpha Marcus where one among the many alphas who had attended the meeting." He stops for a short while, taking a deep breath before continuing.

"Alpha Marcus, my former Alpha," I asked for clarification. Zander nods his head.

"The meeting was organised by Alpha Coal, one of the most feared alphas in Nirvana. During the meeting he explained how his trusted sorceress had revealed to him an important prophecy."

Another prophecy. All these prophecies always bring trouble in one's life and nothing more.

"The prophecy revealed that there would be an elemental who would say foot in Nirvana. And when he or she comes, they would change everything," he looks straight into my eyes, sorrow filled in his.

"This person will be betrayed by many. This person will be deceived by their parents. This person will be the one to bring war between the tribes of Nirvana. This person will be responsible for the death of many innocents, their parents and their own mate. They will be the one who would awaken an ancient evil that could destoy the world as we know it. All this will be caused when that person is betrayed by someone so close and dear to their heart." Zander looked deep into my eyes as he said all this.

"Someone close to me? How?" I whispered to myself, my voice barely audible. All this is absurd, complete confusion.

"When that person is marked. Whoever marks that person first would get one wish. And whatever that wish was, they would have to make it come true," Zander said, but this time, his gaze was on Xavier's grave.

"The sorceress provided a picture of that person. And that person was you my love. Alyssa. You where the one. When I saw that picture of you, and the way, my mark shone immensely, I knew you where mine, and I was determined to keep you safe. Everyone wanted you desperately, just to make their deepest desire come true. But all turned worse when Xavier came into the picture," he paused for a while, sending a fist through the hole he had dug.

"One day Alpha Marcus invited us over to his pack. He wanted our pack to become allies, so we can help during the rogue attacks. On that same day, I overheard Xavier saying that he would find you and mark you, no matter what. Just do he could make his deepest desire come true. He planned on doing it, when his only mate was away," he takes my hand in his, holding it like he didn't want to let me go.

"I was so furious, love. He was gonna mark my mate just to make his deepest desire come true. That's when I saw red, love. And the next thing I knew, I killed him in rage before I could stop myself." He whispered the last part. I could feel the regret he felt in his heart.

"I went over to your pack alone, and that's when I saw you there for the first time. You caught my eyes, and from that moment, I knew I would do anything to protect you," he lay his head on my shoulder, keeping it there. In mere seconds, I could feeling his wet tears tumbling onto it.

"I... I didn't mean to kill him, love," he murmured, silently sobbing. His body shook slowly, and with every sob I heard, my heart broke slowly.

I gently took his face in mine, my vision blurring as I saw Zander's state. Eyes bloodshot and red, tears flowing down like a water fall. Despair and regret swam in them.

I shook my head at him, wiping away his tears.

"I... I only... did this... for you, love. I wanted to keep... you safe. Away... from all these people. I...  never intented to hurt you, Alyssa," tears flowed down his cheeks, tumbling onto my hand. I put his head on both my legs, whispering to him that everything is going to be alright.

My hand ran circles through his dark hair, trying to calm him down. Zander did all this for me. Only to protect me. He cares for me so much, and countless times, I failed to see it.

"You did all that for me?" I whispered to him, running my hand gently through his hair as I looked down at him.

He looks up at me, staring into my eyes. "Yes, love. It's... well... I've wanted to tell you this for a long time, but never got the chance to. Alyssa, love... I love you, princess," he whispered to me.

Emotions took over.

Before I knew it, I leaned in, bringing my lips to Zander's.

Kissing him.

______________________________________

Hey, everyone! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it! Tell me what you think?

1.Was it too early for Zander to confess his love?
2.Do you think Alyssa will do the same?
3. What are your thoughts on Xavier? Is he dead or alive?

Thanks a ton! Next update is tomorrow.

♤Emma5304♤