Chapter 38

"Xavier's mark," the words tumbled out of Mabel's mouth.

Xavier? Didn't I hear that name before?

"Yes, grandma. That is Xavier's mark. The same on that Leila had--" Ruth stops speaking, realising she had said more than enough.

My mind thinks, trying to figure out where I had heard that name. Then it all starts coming back to me. The vampire rogue. It had mentioned that his name was Xavier. Could it possibly be the same person?

"Alyssa, how did this happen? How?" Mabel's voice trembled with fear as she stared at the mark on my neck.

Immediately, I told her of the incident that had happened when I went on a date with Zander. How the vampire rogue attacked me and marked me, making me fall unconscious.

"I'll make sure to find that twit and tear him to pieces. How dare he mark my brother's mate? He--"

"Who is Xavier?" I interrupted Ruth.

Ruth and Mabel exchanged glances, deciding whether to tell me the truth or not. Ruth lowered her head, her eyes focusing on her lap. Looking there and not meeting my eyes.

Mabel just shook her head in disapproval. Like she didn't like any of this.

"You won't tell me anything, will you?" I asked them. Their silence told me everything. They weren't ready to reveal anything to me. And that ticked me off. I was tired of being left in the dark. All the time. If they can't reveal anything then so be it. I'll find out from someone else.

"It's not anything like that, Alyssa. We really want to tell you, but I don't think we should be the ones to do so. Zander should be the one to do it," Ruth said, looking at me with a worried eyes.

"It's his dark past. For many years, he's never spoken of this past. He has forbidden anyone from talking about anything. Telling you about it, would be against his rule. And we would be breaking the trust he has in us." Mabel spoke up suddenly, looking at me with the my-hands-are-tied expression on her face.

"Fine. It's not like anyone is going to tell me anything. Look's like I have to go digging for the truth from somewhere else. Like always. But thanks for the help. It was really appreciated." Sarcasm sounded venomous from my lips. Ruth flinched a bit, looking at me with the same pittyful expression everyone seemed to be giving me nowadays.

I don't need anyone's pity or sympathy. I walked out, slamming the door behind me.

Leaving empty handed, with many unanswered questions lingering in my head.

○■○■○■○

I stomped the hallway, going back to the room. Firstly, Zander's health was on my mind, now this. I needed to now the truth. Why this so called Xavier is so hell bent on taking me away me from Zander. What his motives are? Why he's after us in the first place.

I stepped into the room and guess what? I found Zander on his laptop. He looked up, his eyes widening.

"I wasn't doing anything," he stuttered and closed his laptop, putting on the desk.

"Yeah, I know," I say, walking helplessly towards the bed and getting in beside Zander. I lay my head on his chest, getting cosy.

He pulled me closer, resting a hand on waist. He planted a kiss on my forehead, pulling me closer.

"Why the sour mood, love," he asked, as he slowly played with the tips of my hair. It hasn't been a long time since Zander and I have been together, but he knows me so well. When I'm sad, happy, my dislikes everything.

"It's everything, Zander," I whispered, my voice barely audible.

"Care to elaborate," he whispered back to me, still playing with the tips of my hair.

"It's just... well... you..." I sigh in frustration. I really wanted to tell Zander about this mark. But how should I do this? He will flip out just from the sight of it.

"You're anxious again. What's troubling you, princess? Feel free to share your troubles with me."

I look him in the eyes, and he does the same. He captured me in his, just like I captured him in mine. I looked deep, not willing to look away. My eyes kept searching, for something unseekable.

My lips release a ragged breath, before clearing my voice. "I've hidden something important from you, Zander," I whispered not able to meet his eyes.

He gently held my chin, lifting my head so I was looking at him.

"What are you saying, princess? What have you hidden from me?" He looked at me. There was no sign of burning rage on his face or betrayal. But this wouldn't last forever.

"I can't tell you, but I have to show you," I say to him before grabbing a handful of my hair, lifting it and turning my bare exposed neck to him.

______________________________________

Hey, guys. Sorry for the late update. I was caught up in my studies and all. I totally forgot that I had to update today! So silly of me.

But hey, I finally updated. I hope you liked the chapter. And please excuse any grammatical errors.