I Need A Doctor

"Parlin Joseph Berri?"

The nurse calls my name. God, how I hate my full name. Never really got used to being called either of those. 

*    *    *

"You're not due for a check-up until August," remarks the doctor, "What brings you in so early?"

I hold my mouth, and nod towards Parappa.

Parappa sighs, "From what he's told us...he somehow can't talk. All we know is, he hasn't done anything that couldn't caused this, and he's really scared."

"You sure you don't remember doing anything that could've caused this?" the doctor asked. I nod my head. The Doctor tells me to open my mouth, which I do. After looking inside, he pulls out a swab. God how I hate when they do that.

*   *   *

Parappa is holding Sunny's hand again. His head is hanging low, and I can tell he's trying his hardest not to get worked up: the doctor hasn't even come back with the results yet. I lay down on the exam table, the crinkle of the parchment atop it somewhat easing me.

The doctor comes back.

"As much as it baffles me to say this, you-"

"Give it to me, doc!" Parappa interupts. His breathing is shaky. He kneels on the floor, burying his face in his knees. 

"...no disease could've caused this," the doctor continued, "I'm no neurologist, but I think it might a weakened nerve that shut off your ability to talk..."

What?

I fell off the exam table, right next to Parappa. I squeeze his chest, and he squeezes mine.

* * *

Parappa's POV

"PJ....buddy...." my voice was trembling, "I'm so sorry..."

I began crying like a baby. PJ bit my shoulder, but I was too busy bawling to react.