Family Matters (I)

PJ's POV

They say home is where the heart is, but there almost wasn't one where I grew up. My father left when I was 7, and actually came back when I was 12. My mother is a wreck because of it. Despite me almost being a reminder of him, she cherished me greatly, and almost didn't want me to move out. It took a lot of courage to actually go up to that door.

My mother was the one to answer.

As soon as she sees me, she squeezes me tightly and pulls me into the house.

"Parlin, I'm so glad you came back!" She yells as if heartbroken. She's actually crying. I can do nothing except squeeze her back. The feeling I get in my throat whenever I wanna yell is back, and even though I don't wanna release my grip, I do. I frantically search for a notepad. When I do, my hand scribbles wildly.

"My nerves are damaged. I lost my voice and I'm not getting it back. A friend I used to date is pregnant."

She kisses my forehead, as mothers do. I end off with writing, "Life is so sudden, now."

"It really is, isn't it? She chuckles then sighs. She buries her face in her hands and cries again. I tear off part from the notepad and hand it to her.

"What's wrong?"

"I tried to reach you, but I didn't think you would take it like I did..." she chokes on her tears. I hold her in a death grip.

"Your father passed away a couple of weeks ago."