Boombox

Parappa's POV

I promised Sunny I would show her once we got home, but I had to keep this to myself.

People I love are worrying about me.

Her. PJ. My own family.

I wish they would stop. That's on me, though.

I opened the shoebox and carefully took out its contents. I sigh deeply once I set it on my work table.

"You probably need some batteries..." I muttered while rummaging through a toolbox.

I dusted off the top, then pressed the play button. I prayed that he still worked.

The Sea Boy jingle (slightly distortedly) played. Boxy Boy was still alive after 6 years. I cried, but out of satisfactory joy.

"Woah! How long has it been?!" was the first thing out of Boxy's mouth, "Hey, Parappa, you lookin' fine!" He coughed after finishing that sentence.

"You've missed quite a bit, buddy," I whispered.

Boxy coughed again. (It was actually kind of cute.) "This isn't your house..."

"Well, not the one I grew up in, anyway," I chuckled, "I'm in my 20s now. Sunny's asleep upstairs."

Boxy just looked at me suggestively.

"Aw, Boxy...so much is going on with me right now..."

"What's-*COUGH*-up, big boy?"

"Peej is mute now. I'm trying to help him as much as I can. I'm kind of being an inventor like Pops, y'know?"

I glanced over to the side. The incomplete voice box. I can't take apart my most prized possession from when I was six. Not now. I need more time with him.