On My Mind

(Flashback chapter)

No Set POV

Paula was stuck in dreamland yet again. Everything was perfect.

"Um! Earth to Paula!" Katy snapped her back in reality. Paula lightly punched Katy in the chest.

"She's so into it when she daydreams," Matt muttered toward Parappa, "wonder what she thinks about."

Parappa wasn't listening: his nose was stuck in his Gameboy. Matt rolled his eyes and turned to Paula. Her face was pink.

"So, uh, Paula..." Matt began, trying to make conversation, "What's been on your mind?"

"Like you need to know," Paula snipped. Matt huffed in response. What would it take to reach her?

"Hey, Parappa, can you-"

Matt stopped himself when he realized Parappa was still stuck in his Gameboy. His look turned to annoyance, then snatched it clean out of his hands.

"Give it back!" Parappa cried out, "I was on a 50-something battle streak!"

"Later. I need you to try and get Paula to spill the beans on what she keeps thinking about."

"When are you so nosy all of a sudden?"

"PARAPPA! I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT COULD BE SO IMPORTANT TO HER!"

"You like her or something?"

"Oh, shut up."

Parappa just smiled awkwardly.

"Parappa, please. It can't be as important as hanging out with us."

"Ok, dad."

Matt scowled at Parappa. He hated it when Parappa called him that. In slight fear, Parappa shuffled towards Paula.

"What?" Paula was still angry about being snapped out of her fantasy.

"Whatcha been thinking about?" Parappa cocked his head.

"Nothing you need to worry about."

Parappa frowns and turns to Matt while shrugging. Matt sighs as he tosses Parappa's Gameboy back to him. Once he looked at it, he gasped in fear: his prized Manectric was in the red. His fingers started flying at the buttons.

"I gotta crack her somehow..." Matt muttered.