Chapter 4

James' POV

The sun is beginning to set. It is almost time for our attack. My Beta, Noah, has rounded up the pack warriors. Grabbing a few torches we begin making our way to the rouges' houses. We want to keep the fight out in the open, so I sent the warriors with the torches up ahead. Setting fires to smoke out the rouges we shift; preparing for a fight. As the rouges exited their homes, we attack. My black wolf, Ezra, begins to attack the wolves coming at us.

At of nowhere a glorious smell assaults my senses. I lose concentration and a claw reaches out for my shoulder. All I see is red. The rage that has been building since my father's death comes out in full force. The attack does not last. Some rouges surrendered and the rest perished. Noah's father, Nathaniel, my father's beta searched the corpses, and found no signs of the rouge who was there that night. Frustrated I storm back to my house. Slamming the door I let out tremendous growl.

"Do you feel that?"

Before I could respond to Ezra, the smell from earlier comes back, but stronger. I follow the scent upstairs. It becomes stronger as I near my room. The smell of blood begins to take over. Ezra is getting extremely anxious. I try to block him out, but he takes over. Opening the door I look to see a puddle of blood on the floor. The trial leads to a small rouge curled up bleeding out on the floor. I let at a growl at the thought of a rogue in my room. Ezra however is freaking out. Scratching to come to the surface. Taking over control he sprints over to the lifeless form. Quickly picking of the girl he rushed her to the pack infirmary.

I burst through the doors letting out a loud growl. All of the workers turn to me, their alpha, scared of what is happening.

"I need help now!" Ezra growled before giving me back control.

Two nurse come over quickly with a gurney taking the girl out of my arms. I follow them before my beta stops me. Someone must have called him to the infirmary. He pinning me against the wall he tells me to calm down. I could easily use my authority to get into the operating room, and could easily kick his ass. Yet he tells me to calm down, knowing he is helping me as a friend, and a beta. I slow my breathing clenching my hands into fists.

"Who is she?" Noah asks, and I have nothing to tell him. I don't know who she is, but Ezra responds with one word, that changes everything.

"Mate."