Chapter 16

James' POV

    I bolt upright when I hear a scream. I quickly pat the bed next to me, and couldn't find Penny. I rush to find her, and see her laying on the floor. I run and grab her in my arms. Instantly I realize my mistake, as soon as I touched her I could feel the mate pull stronger than ever before. Her heavenly scent engulfed me and I could feel my control over Ezra slipping. My beautiful mate is going through heat. I mindlink Ella to come bring ice quickly. When I heard the door open, I was relieved. I turn to thank her when I see Noah. I let out a growl at the thought of another male around Penny.

"Chill bro, I am Ella's mate." Ezra growls at the disrespect, "Of, Alpha I am sorry Ella is coming to take care of Pennelope, and I think you should come with me."

I let out a growl standing defensively in front of penelope's curled up body. "Why the hell would I leave my mate? She needs me!" I shout at him.

"Listen Alpha, she's in heat, which means your wolf is slowly taking control, and he is only relying on his basic instincts. Soon you won't be able to control yourself, and you will sleep with her whether or not she is ready. I know you and Ezra do not want to hurt Pennelope, so I believe it is best that you come with me know."

Ezra whimpers at the thought of hurting Pennelope. I don't want to leave her, but I know he's right. Before I lose control to Ezra's primitive side, I ask him to take me to a cell and make sure I don't leave. We begin walking out of the room when I feel Ezra starting to take over. I find myself turning around trying to get back to Penny. Noah and starts dragging me away. I can't help, but fight back trying to get to my mate. Noah calls two guards over, and they force me into the cells.

They look me in the cell, and Ezra loses it. I find myself shifting into my wolf form. As soon as Ezra is in his wolf form, I have no control. I watch through his eyes helplessly as Ezra continues to fling himself against the cage. He knows that Penelope is upstairs unconscious, and needs to get to her as soon as possible. A small whimper in the edges of my mind make him stop. Ezra curls up on the floor of the cell as he listens to the faint whimpers of Pennelope through the mate link. I can sense she is extremely weak, and wish I was there to help her.

I want to be there helping her, but Ezra is just thinking about mating with her. I know that Noah was right, but I am still frustrated he had to drag me to the cells. It breaks my heart to hear the soft whimpers of my mate. I find myself drifting off listening to the sound of my mate soft heartbeat.

Pennelope's POV

White hot searing pain. It feels as though my body is being covered in lava. I let out a whimper. I crack my eyes open to see a concerned Ella leaning over me.

"Thank goddess you are awake! I was worried we wouldn't be able to get your temperature down."

She dumps a bag of ice on me providing me with some temporary relief. I realize she has me in a bathtub with only my underwear and bra on. I am surrounded by melted ice.

"What is happening?" I croak.

"You are going into heat." I just look at her confused, "After finding their mate, the female wolf goes through heat. Essential she experiences pain and only gets relief from mating. She releases a scent that draws animated male wolves. James is currently locked in the pack cells because he cannot Ezra. Your scent is driving him insane. Our two best female warriors are at your door keeping the animated wolves away."

"Why do we have to go through heat?" I whisper at the unfairness.

"It forces the majority of mates to sleep together when they meet. This ensures that the werewolf race continues. The only way to stop heat is to mate, or reject your mate."

"What happens if I don't do either?" I whisper. I am not ready to sleep with James, but I know full well that there is no way in hell I'll reject him.

"What you are currently experiencing usually only lasts 24 hours. Then you will experience sweating and cramping for the following 24-72 hours. James will regain control of Ezra after the first 24 hours, so he will be able to help ease your pain for the next few days."

I nod, thankful that I will be able to be with him after this torture is over. Another wave of searing heat took over and I begin whimpering again. Ella quickly rushes to get more ice, but I find myself falling in and out of delirium. I wake up feeling a hundred times better. Instead of laying in the bathtub I find myself laying in bed wrapped in the arms of my amazing mate.

"Pennelope, I am so glad you are awake. You have been sleeping for over eleven hours." he says.

Damn his morning voice is so sexy. Storm comments. I feel a blush rise, but ignore her.

"I am so sorry. We should go do something." I say trying to get up. As soon as I stand on floor I double over in pain. Hissing I crawl back into bed next to James.

"I know you feel better than you did yesterday, but you are still going through heat. That means today is just going to be a rest day. Me and you get to stay curled up together in bed, getting to know each other."

    There are certain parts of him I would love to get to know better. Storm says licking her lips.

    I find myself blushing trying not to think about what Storm was talking about.