Chapter 17

James' POV

I lazily draw circles on Penny's back as I watch her sleep. She's been asleep for a long time, but I know she needed rest after the first 24 hours of her heat. She slowly starts moving, and she flips over and I see her eyes flutter open. I quickly tell her how long she's been out, and I see a blush rise from her chest to her neck. I don't know why she's embarrassed, but she is sexy as hell. Images flash through my mind of everything I would like to do to her in the future. I missed her trying to get out of the bed, and I snap my head up when I hear her hissing in pain.

"I know you feel better than you did yesterday, but you are still going through heat. That means today is just going to be a rest day. Me and you get to stay curled up together in bed, getting to know each other." I reprimand.

She blushes as she gets back in bed. I pull her over into a hug, burying my face in her neck inhaling her scent.

I know somewhere better you can bury your face. Shut up Ezra! I growl as little James gets excited.

"Um James,' Pennelope squeaks, and I realize that she also noticed little James' presence.

"Um do you wanna watch a movie?" I ask jumping out of bed.

I press a button and the mirror opposite of my bed, lowers revealing a TV. I grab a random DVD and put it on. After making sure not-so-little James was okay I laid back down. Propping myself up against the headboard, I pulled Penny into my lap. As we watch the movie I find myself drawing shapes on her arms, and placing kisses on her neck. I could stay here forever, just me and her. My own personal heaven gets interrupted by Noah.

"James, I am sorry to interrupt, but you need to come to the western border as quick as possible." I groan before saying bye to Penny, not wanting to leave.

I quickly run to where Noah and a few pack guards were waiting. They surrounded a rogue, but the rouge wasn't trying to attack anyone.

"Please help me, they captured me, and tortured me, and please..." I heard him say.

"What's happening?" I ask Noah.

"This rouge came to our borders. He says the group of rogues that attacked us had been holding him prisoner. He was able to escape and he is seeking refuge."

I don't know what to think, it is uncommon for rogues to ask to join a pack. I need to know more information before I can make a decision. In order to question him first we will have to save him. He was still bleeding which means that he must have wolfsbane in his system.

"Hey Doc, come quick we need you to save a rogue." I quickly mindlink Owen.

It wasn't long before he came into view, but as he got closer to the rouge he slowed down instead of speeding up. All of the sudden he begins growling. At first I thought he was growling at the rouge, but then I realise he is growling at Noah, the warriors, and me. Before I could ask what was wrong, he growls out Mate while taking a protective stance in front of the rouge. I quickly put my hands up so he knows we mean no harm.

"Owen, listen to me. We didn't do this, he showed up this way. I know there is a lot going on with you right now, but you need to save your mate."

I can see Owen's wolf, Theo, giving control back to Owen. He quickly scoops his mate up, and begins running towards the pack hospital. I mindlink Penny updating her, and she is thrilled that Owen found his mate. I did keep his current condition a secret not wanting to stress her out. Owen pulls me into a private room after about two hours of helping Dr Mendel, the pack surgeon, fix his mate.

"How is he doing?" I ask concerned with his worried look.

"He will heal quickly, now that we have flushed the wolfsbane from his system and repaired major wounds."

"Then why do you look so worried."

"It isn't his current wounds that worry me. He told you the pack of rogues were torturing him, and that is true. His wounds match the same pattern as Penelope's. I am worried her abuser, Percy, is the same one who tortured my mate. If that is true-"

"It means he is working with the rouge army." I say as soon as I realize what he was getting at.

"I am afraid so."

"Thank you Owen. Please keep this confidential." he nods.

I pat his arm reassuringly before running to the office. I quickly mindlink Noah, and my gamma Kristin. I tell them what Owen told me. Noah looked confused, but Kristin's eyes widen in realization.

"Percy is part of the rouge pack, and based on what you have told me he was obsessed with Penelope. This means he will try to get her back, which means we haven't seen the last of the army of rouges."

I nod agreeing with her. As my gamma she is in charge of training the warriors, and helping me develop war strategies. I send her to begin prepping the warriors. I was about to go check on Pennelope when Noah stops me.

"Wait, you know how my dad said he recognized one of the rogues that killed your dad. Which was the whole reason why we burned down those rouge cottages. My dad wasn't able to recognize any of the rogues. We forgot it because you found Pennelope and things got crazy. But what if Percy is the wolf that helped kill your dad."

"This means the army of rouges has been preparing for years." I whisper.

"But preparing for what exactly?"