Chapter 9

James' POV

Two updates in one week!!! I thought my readers deserved another chapter! I am going to try to update once a week, but school is starting soon :( so please understand it I don't get in my weekly update. Please enjoy!

Pennelope fell asleep in my arms a few minutes ago. I can't help, but stare at her. Her face is peaceful and relaxed. She snuggles deeper into my chest a smile gracing her lips. I couldn't help smiling through my tears because she is the most beautiful person I have ever laid eyes on. I have been fighting my tears sense I told her what the doctor told me. A few tears had escaped, but now that she is sleeping I know longer hold them back. The tears come flooding out of my eyes threatening to to turn into sobs I take a deep breath.

I felt so enraged when she told me what Percy did to her, I still am just thinking about it. I want to rip him limb from limb. Along with hate I can't help but feel gut wrenching sorrow. Her eyes held so much pain, and I know she wasn't telling me everything. She had been held there for four years. She was right under my nose the whole time, and yet I didn't save her. From what she told me Percy got progressively worse throughout the years. If I had searched the rouge village when I turned 18 I could have prevented all of the abuse she went through. I would have found my mate, which means I could have saved my father as well. My hatred of rouges kept me from going to search their village. It was all my fault that she went through everything she did.

From now on I vow to be by her side and protect her from harm I never want her to experience pain ever again. Although even now she isn't pain free. She may be physically healed, but all of her internal wounds are wide open. I know it will take time, I can't expect her to heal overnight, but I will do everything I can do to help her. Ezra whimpers in my head as I sit there crying. I slowly lay Penelope down and lay next to her. She buries herself into my side. I am just going to lay with her a little while longer before sleeping on the couch. Ezra wants me to stay next to her, but she fell asleep before I could ask her, and I don't want to be presumptuous.

When she turned over onto her otherside, I slipped out of the bed and laid down on the couch. Drifting off, I am almost asleep when I hear a scream. I bolt upright and look around the room trying to find an attacker. I didn't see an immediate threat so I turned to check on Penelope. She is sitting upright in bed. Her skin is pale and covered in a thin layer of sweat. Her breathing is rapid and she is looking around the room, searching for something. When she made eye contact with me, she visibly relaxed, but still looked worried.

"Shhh" I cooed sitting down next to her, "it's okay. It was just a nightmare, no one is going to hurt you. I am here." I continued whispering reassurances as she snuggled into me.

"Can you stay here. I don't..." she trailed off, "I don't have nightmares when you lay with me."

"Of course sweetheart." I kissed her forehead and lay back down with her.

I waited until she was asleep before falling asleep next to her. I slowly wake up when I hear her goraning in pain. Quickly I sit up to make sure she is okay, but she is not laying next to me. In a panic I look around trying to find her. I see her shuffling out of the bathroom. I can't help, but smile when I see her hair all over the place.

"Good morning. I am sorry if I woke you up. I just had to go to the bathroom."

"Good morning" I respond while rushing to help her back into bed, "Wake me up next time. You aren't supposed to be out of bed. You need help moving around until the wolfsbane is out of your system and you are completely healed."

"I'll be alright. I can take care of myself."

"I know you can, but I am here now, so you don't have to. I am here for you and I will do whatever you need me to."

I could see tears gather in her eyes, but instead she just smiled at me. After I helping her back into bed, I checked the time.

"I'm sorry Penny, but I need to go to a meeting with my beta, Noah. I will have someone bring you some food." her smiled disappeared, "I'll be back in an hour two at the most. Don't worry you are safe here." I reassure her.

After making sure she was okay, I made my way to my office. Noah was already there pacing the room.

"Where were you? Y0u are never late."

"Don't worry I was with my mate. Listen No, we have to find that bastard."

"We will."

The reset of the meeting was uneventful. Ever since the rouges attacked, we have been monitoring large group sittings of rouges. There was no serious rouge violence, but they have been disappearing. We don't know where they are going, but it seems as though they are gathering. Some rogues are peaceful, but the more violent rouges have been planning something. I instructed Noah to have security strengthened, and to alert neighboring packs that the rouges may be planning an attack. I was glad it wasn't a long meeting because I have to check on my Penny.

I feel bad leaving her by herself. I am glad that my sister is coming back. After the attack, I sent her to live with my aunt and uncle in Europe. She was supposed to come back when she turned eighteen, but she decided to get a degree in psychology, so she stayed an extra two years. She should arrive at the end of the week. When Ella arrives, hopefully her and Penny will be friends and she can spend time with her while I am working. I opened the door to find something I did not expect to see.

QOTD

What do you think he saw?

Are you excited to meet Ella?