Chapter 28

Penelope's POV

I hang up on the love of my life. With unstoppable tears streaming down my face, I quickly erase the call from his history and put the phone back. I run to the bathroom, and run the shower as the tears turn to sobs. I gather all of my strength and push the tears down.

"He is coming. We will escape, and we will be with James again." Storm encourages.

I wash my face and crawl back into the bed cringing as Percy wraps his arms around my waist, mumbling in his sleep. I close my eyes, and will myself to fall asleep.

"Mmm I slept incredibly last night." Percy whispers in my ear waking me up.

As I stretched I suddenly remember everything that happened last night and try not to tense up. I hide my shaking hands under the covers. I quickly watch Percy texting on his phone.

"Um, yeah I slept well last night too." I respond trying to act casually.

"Should we hang out today?" He asks as he flips himself on top of me. "Just you and me?" he finishes by kissing my neck.

Pain and repulsion flood my body as his lips graze my mark from James. Instinctively I push his chest causing him to roll of me. I can see anger in his and and he is about to say something when I get up and run to the bathroom.

"Sorry P, it's the baby. I thought the morning sickness was gone." I cover my reckless moves.

"It's okay, Pippa." he rubs my back as I dry heavy into the toilet bowl.

"Thanks," I shrug off his hand, and lean against the wall, "I would love to hang out with you, but I've been feeling off. This baby is turning against me." I let out a strained chuckle, "Would it be okay if I just have a girls day with Wren and Adelaide?" I know it is a stretch, but I do not want to be around him when James appears.

I can tell he wants to disagree, but he just nods, "Sure, I'll have them come in, and plan a date night for us for tomorrow."

I hide my smile and just thank him. He left and I crawled back into bed. The whole day I tried to not think of James, but it is all I can think about. We were trying to keep our minds off of it, by just watching a random disney movie, but the stress was palpable in the air. I was about to lose it when we heard shouting in the distance. Immediately my instincts kick in. I turn off the TV and push Wren and Adelaide into the closet. My wolf takes over as I take a protective stance in front of them.

I can't help, the slight jump as I hear the door being ripped down. We hear a murderous growl, and Wren lets out a slight whimper. I quickly hold my breath, praying the moon Goddess was on our side. She was and the closet door was ripped open. Before I can attack I realize it wasn't a threat. James- my James was standing in front of my with a murderous look in his eyes.

He pulls me into him and I take a moment to inhale his sent. As he registered my baby bump he let out another growl causing my heart to sink. I know we hadn't talked about kids, but I thought he would be happy. I don't know what will happen if he decides he doesn't want our kid. He/she was the one thing I could hold onto throughout this whole experience. Before I could say anything he swoops me up, holding me tightly against him. Out of the corner of my eyes I see Adelaide and Wren being helped by some pack warriors.

I am instantly relaxed as I am surrounded by his scent. I burrow deeper into his chest as he runs through the battlefield towards safety. He carries me to the medical tent and tries to set me down, but I dig my claws into his shoulder.

"Easy, Angel. I have to go finish this, and then we will be able to stay together forever." I nod trying not to let him see me cry.

He wipes my tears then kisses me before running off. Someone tries to walk me to a cot, and I look up to see Owen. I immediately pull him into a bone crushing hug. He chuckles then has me sit onto a cot. I call Wren over to meet Ryan's mate. She took a few steps before swaying on her feet. Before we could react, she fell to the ground. I try to get up, but Owen pushes me back down then rushes towards her. I ignore Owen and the other wolves working the medical tent. I get up and stand next to Wren.

"What's wrong with her?" I yell at Owen, "She was doing so much better, she was even putting weight back on." I frantically try to come up with what happened.

"Luna," I just ignore him, "Pennelope," he shouts and I look up at him, "we won't know more until we bring her back to the pack hospital. What I do know is that you stressing like this will hurt the baby, so take a deep breath and try to relax."

I nod and try to take some deep breaths. He quickly loads Wren, Adelaide, and a the few injured pack wolves into a few pack vehicles. He then pulls me into the car as well. I was about to protest leaving James, but he shut me down by giving me a stern look.

Once we arrive to the pack hospital the injured wolves were taken to separate rooms, Adelaide was taken to another room to be checked on, and I followed Owen and Wren into a room. I sat next to her worriedly fumbling with my hands. Owen runs tests and hooks her up to IVs and I just feel numb. We did not just escape that hell hole to have her die for no reason. After a few hours, she finally wakes up. Owen was about to tell her his diagnosis when Ryan bursts into the room.

"Wrenold!"

"Rylie!" The shout their nicknames at each others and embrace each other.

"Be careful, she just woke up." Owen scolds his mate.

"What's wrong with her?" He asks.

"Well it appears you are pregnant, Wren. Because you were malnourished you are barely showing, and that is why you passed out."

She pales and I'm worried she will pass out again.

"I would say she is about as far along as Penny. About twenty weeks." she just nods.

I was about to say something when James bursts into the room. "There you are! I was worried you were in surgery."

"I'm fine." I reassure him as he pulls me into his arms.

"Is that true?" he asks Owen.

"Yeah, I ran some tests and they seem normal. I would like to check on the baby before you take her away." He nods and quickly lays me on the second bed in the room.

Owen hastily takes a sonogram, "Everything looks all right. Wait-" he pauses and I feel my face pale, "There's nothing wrong," he quickly reassures me, "It's just that you are expecting twins, so I would like to see you putting on a little more weight." I nod numbly.

Once we get the okay I grab the sonogram and walk back to James' room. I change and lay down on the bed, exhausted. After changing, he walks towards me. The expression on his face reads pure rage.