Chapter 5

Author's Note

    Happy mothers day to all the moms out there! Here's the next update. It's short and unedited. Please leave comments of what you think. Five comments for the next update.

*Trigger warning miscarriages and allusion to SA*

James' POV

    She's my mate. Do I want a mate? Of course you want a mate! Since finding out she was my mate, Ezra and I have been arguing while I pace the waiting room of the hospital. Part of me, the wolf part, is ecstatic; I have been searching for my mate for years. However, I just swore off mates. If I hadn't been searching for my mate I would have been home, and could have protected my father. Mates are a distraction. A weakness. I don't want her to be a distraction, yet I can't stop thinking about her. As the doctor enters the my heart leaps out of my chest. I rush over to the doctor demanding answers.

    "Alpha, I need to talk to you. Maybe we should address your wounds, and we can talk in the private of a room."

    "Take me to her now" I growl.

    "With all due respect, Alpha, you may run this pack, but I run this hospital. Now follow me to a room for treatment, and we will talk about your mate."

    Not wanting to cause any more scenes I lead him to a room. He begins stitching up a few cuts I got during the attack. He started to slowly ask questions regarding my mate.   

    "How long have you known her?" he asks quietly. I then explain how I just found her., "So she was not under your care prior to today?" as I nod he lets out a sigh visibly relaxing.

    "Why?" I ask staring at him.

"Well... We ran some x-rays, and we found some concerning things." he trailed off not knowing how to break it to me, "She had many fractures, and even some breaks. Most of them were either unhealed or healed improperly."

    I let out a growl as I punch the nearest wall. He actually thought I harmed my mate. My mate had been harmed. I did not know how to react.

"I have to see her!" I am losing my patience.

    "There's one more thing. We treated her injury, but the damage was extensive. She was extremely weak when she came to us. She had clear signs of dehydration, and malnutrition. Currently we have her sedated, so she can start to heal."

    I sink down with my head in my hands. My knuckles were bleeding from punching the wall, yet I ignore the pain thinking about my mate.

    "Is that all?"

    "During the operation. She was having a miscarriage. By the time we figured out what was happening, it was too late. We could not save the baby."

    Ezra howls as I sink to the floor. Scenarios run through my head: did she sleep with someone else, is she in love with someone else, was she... I could not even think about it. I had to see her. I had to see her now. Pushing past the doctor I follow her scent. I push open the door and see her sleeping on the hospital bed.

    Quickly I pull up a chair, and sit down watching her breathe. I know it sounds creepy, but I have to make sure she was okay. At some point I must have fallen asleep because I soon wake up to her voice. She kept screaming "Stop!" over and over again as her hands clawed at her head. I quickly grab her wrists to prevent her from hurting herself. Her eyes snap to mine, and all I see in pure fear. She is terrified of me.