Comfort

Archie's POV

I remember looking down at my hands and looking at my Dad wondering how this happened. My brain couldn't process, all the blood that was coming out of him. All I knew is he had to get to a hospital. My brain or body didn't know what else to do but that. I drove him to the hospital and held him up as high as I could walking into the hospital.

"Help! I need help!" I plea, nurses and doctors rush over to my side.

"What happened?" They ask placing him onto a gurney.

"He was shot." I say simply, my voice shaking and trembling. I follow them as they are pushing him to what I can only assume is surgery, there was so much.... blood.

"Son, you have to stay here." They say to me stopping me before they leave with my Dad. I look at him through the door window, praying to God he pulls through this.

I didn't really know what to do, I knew I didn't want to be alone. The only person I could think to call.

"Arch hey, what's up?" The familiar voice of my very best friend Betty Cooper immediately puts my mind at ease.

"Betty... something happened.. I'm at the hospital.." I can barely get the words out.

"Arch, what's wrong? What's going on?" She asks sounding worried.

"My Dad was shot, I don't know if he is going to..." I start to say.

"I'm on my way." She says and hangs up the phone.

I take a big breath in and out. She's on her way. She's coming, when she get's here she will know exactly what to do. Breathe Archie. Just breathe. I slowly sit down. People walking in and out are staring at me, I can only assume I look like I just came from a crime scene. Blood all over me, my fathers blood. I can't just sit here. I pace back and fourth thinking over every possible outcome and it's making my stomach curl.

"Arch..." I hear her say my name, and my head goes straight up and there she is. I am overcome with... relief. The sight of her made me feel so safe. She starts racing over to me and our bodies crash into one another's. I bury my head in her neck. I hold on so tight, I feel like I might break her. "It's okay...I am here now." She says in my ear. She holds on to my body tight, and I finally release her. I look down into her eyes, her beautiful green eyes. I can tell she is worried, trying to remain calm for me. I can see right through her.

"What happened?" She asks concerned, her eyes remained locked with mine.

"It all happened so fast Betty. I went to wash my hands, my Dad had already ordered for me at Pops..."

"This happened at Pop's?" She cuts me off, I slowly nod. Her mood shifts with more fear.

"I heard yelling from the bathroom and slowly walked out. It was this man... with a mask. It was black and he had a gun pointed at Pop asking for money. I remember my eyes darting to my Dad. He slowly was getting up ready to do something to save Pop. My stomach started to turn, I looked over to the man and he had the gun pointed at my Dad. I can't even remember what he was saying to my Dad it was like the world was on mute. I didn't know what else to do but run in front of my Dad but it was too late... he shot him." I say replaying this horrible nightmare that only happened a few short hours ago, but already it feels like a lifetime. I notice my hands, they are shaking. Betty looks down and lightly grabs one with her hand and holds it tight. "Betty... I should have done something... I could have done more..." I say my eyes starting to well up.

"Hey, hey no." She starts to say. "Look at me." She says I slowly meet her eyes. She looks so steady, so calm. She is exactly what I needed. "You did more, than any normal person would have done in that situation. Archie, you aren't a superhuman. You are pretty close but you aren't. You did the best you could." She says, I nod. She gives me a shy smile. "This is your Dad, Arch. He isn't going away anytime soon. Okay?" She says, I nod and feel myself feel immediately calmer.