Getaway

Archie's POV

"Betty let's go!" I yell out my window beeping the horn on my dad's truck. Normally Betty is right on time I don't know what is taking her so long. She walks out wearing a simple white tank top and shorts, showing off her sun tan. Her hair in its classic pony tail swinging back and fourth and one backpack over her shoulder and a small bag in her hand.

"Sorry Alice was grilling me." She says throwing her bags in the back.

"It's okay, you ready?" I ask her and she smiles.

"Ready." She says. I start the truck and we take off.

My Dad gave me the keys to our small cabin we have down by Sweet Water River. Betty and Jug recently broke up and I can tell she needed something to distract her.

"Thanks for suggesting this Arch, I really needed a weekend away." She says looking out the window, looking relaxed.

"After you have been helping me fix my car it's the least I could do." I say and she smiles.

The past few weeks she has been coming over and helping me and my Dad fix up my car. My Dad was actually the one who suggested me taking her to the cabin. It might seem like this romantic getaway, but it isn't like that.

It could be like that, but I know she isn't over Jughead. It's strange, I find myself looking at her differently. It's things I have always noticed about her, her obvious beauty, how kind she is, the way she smiles when she knows she is right, her laugh and how loud and full it can be. I have known all of these things about her my whole life but now... it's like I can't breathe without seeing at least one of those things once a day, she has become an oxygen I didn't know I couldn't live with out. Until now.

"Have you spoken to Veronica at all?" She asks me.

"Not since last week, wasn't she still going up to New York?" I ask, me and Ronnie broke up about two months ago. Mutual understanding, and we are still friends.

"Yeah she left yesterday I was just wondering if you have seen her." Betty says. I nod.

I feel myself yearning for Betty the more I spend time with her. I feel so guilty about it, I felt all of those things even before Jughead ended things with her. The main reason I think things never worked out between me and Veronica was because I always knew it would be Betty. Always.

I hurt her so bad the last time I doubt she even looks at me like that anymore, and who is to blame her? I wouldn't either.

"Arch?" She asks me snapping me out of my head.

"Yeah?" I ask looking over at her.

"You brought stuff for smores right?" She says with a smile.

"Of course I did." I say and she laughs lightly.

"I can't believe I have never been to this cabin before." She says as we start pulling up to it. It's nothing special, nothing like Veronica's cabin, if you can even consider that a cabin. It's small and it has two bedrooms and one little bathroom. My Grandpa built it a long time ago, my Dad only recently has fixed it up.

"It was barley useable when I was a kid. It's only been bearable to be at until about two Summers ago." Which was the Summer of Jason Blossom, and Ms. Grundy... Thinking about it makes me shiver.

"Well come on let's go." She says hopping out of the truck and I quickly follow her and grab her bags. I unlock the door and it looks like my Dad came up here sometime this week and cleaned it up. There are fresh flowers on the kitchen table and there is a note on the counter.