Eighteen

Betty's POV

Turning 18 should be this life altering thing right? From adolescence to adulthood it's a big moment in a young persons life. Why am I completely dreading it?

Maybe because I still haven't heard back from NYU or Columbia. My top two schools, or maybe because Veronica is throwing me a party and I know zero details about any of it.

"I'm your best friend B you have nothing to be worried about. All you have to do is wear that new dress I bought you and be at the Penbrook by 8:00 sharp." Veronica says to me shutting her locker and happily exiting the school.

"Reggie come on you must know something." I say trying to get something, he's an easy target.

"Betty, Veronica said if I spoil this I get no sex for a week... so I can't tell you anything. Sorry." He says meeting up with Veronica who winks back at me, I feel my eyes roll to the back of my head.

"Betty?" I turn around and Archie is standing behind me.

"Happy early Birthday!" He says to me putting his arm around me as we walk out.

"I'm assuming Veronica swore you to secrecy too?" I say and he laughs.

"Lips are sealed, Betty come on it's not going to be bad. You know that. Ronnie wouldn't let that happen." He says .

"I know. I just hate not knowing." I say.

"Speaking of not knowing have you heard back from NYU or Columbia yet?"

"Nope. Have you?" I say.

"No when we do promise we will both tell each other first." He says.

"I can do that." I say brushing his shoulder.

"Betty I can guarantee this will be the best night of your life. Just go get ready, we can ride together in the Jalopy." He says trying to make me relax.

"Fine, I can do that." I say and he smiles.

End of our Junior year me and Jughead ended things as did Veronica and Archie.

It used to feel like that it was always going to be us four. Me with Jug and Archie with Ronnie but the way things are. Veronica with Reggie me and Jug apart but friends. All of us still friends, it's how it's supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong I miss having someone. Archie has crossed my mind once or twice. We never got it right, our timing was always off or something crazy in Riverdale would keep us to distracted to even think about being together. My feelings of course have never left me entirely. I think partly because we never got our chance to explore it and partly because I think deep down inside me that he's the one. I really do think that.

To put myself out there again? Get hurt again? I don't know if I could bear it. Being close with him again this year has made me so happy, I don't want to spoil that. I couldn't ruin us.

I pull out the dress Veronica bought me. She had it hanging in my closet in a plastic bag. I unzip the bag and look at it admiringly. It's so beautiful and simple. It's my taste and not Veronica's which I was pleasantly surprised by. It's a soft yellow and flowy and comes to just below my knees. It's strapless. I slip it on and let my pony fall. I brush it out and throw some loose curls. I put on some earrings and put on my necklace. I slide on my pink heels. I hear a knock at the door. Must be Archie.

"Betty!" My mom yells for me.

"Coming!" I yell and I grab my purse and look at myself one last time. Betty Cooper this is your last night as a child. Enjoy it.