Labor Day Weekend

Archie's POV

Veronica thought it would be a great idea to throw a party at her cabin before we hear about the verdict on Monday. I agreed because I need anything to keep my mind off of what my fate might be.

"B wanna come up with me and Jug can ride up with Archie?" Veronica asks Betty as we are sitting in Pops.

"Actually we should all go up together, I have a feeling the Jalopy is ready for its first road trip." Betty says smiling to me.

"All thanks to you Betty." I say she smiles warmly.

"Ok it's settled. Tomorrow morning meet at Archie's 8:00?" Veronica says.

"Sounds good." Jug says. We all suck on our milkshakes and pretend that everything is normal.

Me and Betty walk home together. Her blue dress swaying ever so slightly. I can feel the tension she doesn't want to mention the trial but it's all we have been talking about the past three months. It's all her brain has been thinking about. Sometimes it still blows me away how lucky I am to have the friends I have. Especially one like Betty Cooper.

"What are you thinking about Arch?" She asks me breaking the silence.

"Just how lucky I am to have a friend like you." I say she gives me a funny look.

"Don't start this." She says sounding upset.

"Start what?" I say.

"Just in case I won't have the time to tell you speeches, Arch you aren't going to jail. You are innocent. Everyone knows that." She says.

"Well the jury doesn't that's why they are taking the weekend to decide." I say.

She sighs heavily, "Well I don't want to hear a goodbye."

"I could never say goodbye to you, even if I had to." I say bumping her shoulder lightly, her cheeks warm.

"Arch.."

"I will see you tomorrow morning okay?" I say cutting her off as we reach our houses. She nods lightly and waves and walks up her walkway. She turns to look at me before we both walk into our homes.

I wake up around 6:30 hop in the shower and pack my things.

"Don't worry Dad we will be back Sunday so we will have some time before-" he cuts me off.

"Don't worry about it." He says coming to hug me. "Have fun I love you son." He says hugging me tighter than usual.

"I love you too." I say letting go and meeting my friends outside.

That's what hurts the most, seeing what this has done to my Dad. It's absolutely killed him. I will never forgive myself for putting him through this mess.

Betty is the first waiting against the jalopy. I smile as I see her tightening her pony tail in the mirror. She has on a light yellow dress that hugs her curves really well. She really is beautiful. I know I'm not supposed to notice that because I have a girlfriend, but who wouldn't notice that?

"Hey Arch!" She says smiling brightly.

"You think he's ready?" I say slapping the car.

"If Mr. Andrews does then I think so." She says smiling.

"Hey before Jug and Ronnie show up can I ask you a favor?" She nods.

"If I end up in jail..." she sighs and her smile fades. "Just watch out for my dad. Invite him over for dinner, come check on him." I say.