Chapter 14

The next morning, Alec wakes up to someone poking him in the ribs. He keeps trying to swat away the intruder's hand, but the incessant poking doesn't stop. "What?" Alec grumbles into his pillow, realizing that he must have fallen asleep while talking to Jace last night.

"I'm hungry, I have to take a piss, and I think your roommate is home." Jace whines. With a sigh, Alec gets up, and helps his brother get into the wheelchair, then Alec pushes Jace towards the bathroom.

"Do you need any help, or do you think you can manage on your own?" Alec reluctantly asks Jace.

"I'm good. Clary gave me one of those jugs to pee in, then I just dump it in the toilet when I'm done." Alec really doesn't have the energy this morning to correct Jace about the portable urinal. Alec wheels Jace into the bathroom and leaves so he can do his business alone. While he's waiting on Jace to finish, Alec remembers Jace saying that Clary was home. Alec forgot to text her last night, she must have cooled off enough to want to come back to the apartment.

Next Alec pushes him to the kitchen so he can start the coffee and make breakfast. "Okay, pancakes or french toast?" Alec asks.

"Pancakes!" Both Clary and Jace say in unison, causing Alec to chuckle. He didn't even hear Clary enter the kitchen. Alec turns to gather everything he needs to make the pancakes, continuing with the conversation.

"Good morning, Clary. How was work? Any patent's hit on you again?" Alec asks with a chuckle, which causes Clary to giggle in return.

"Not tonight, I think I've hit my quota after dealing with Casanova over here." Clary says with a wink, "So, how are you feeling this morning, Goldilocks? Still intent on verbally abusing me?" Clary asks. Alec's so thankful he's facing away from the two, so Jace doesn't see him trying to suppress his laugh. He's always loved Clary's sass.

"I'm more sore than I was yesterday, but I'll survive," Jace replied. Alec can hear the uncertainty in Jace's voice. "Hey Clary? I'm beyond sorry for my behavior yesterday."

"Which time? At the hospital or here?" Clary says with amusement in her voice. Alec can't help it; he doubles over, resting his forearms on the counter, and loses it. He's laughing so hard, it's making Clary lose her composure.

"It's fine Jace. I know you were so doped up you didn't know which way was up or down. As for yesterday afternoon, I just want you to know that even if what you accused me of were true, I'm not heartless enough to break up a family. And even if it was totally uncalled for, I know you were upset about the whole situation." Clary says. Alec looks towards his friend and brother just in time to see a bright smile spread over Jace's face.

"Well I am sorry. I'm not usually an asshole. And as far as those comments my brother so willingly took video of, that's really not in my nature. I have no idea what was going through my head at the time." Jace says and Clary nods in acceptance. Satisfied with Jace's apology, Alec turns back to his task at hand and starts breakfast.

"So Jace, what do you do for a living?" Clary asks, trying to break the awkward tension flowing between the two.

"I'm an unemployed Chef. I never thought it would be so difficult finding a job in New York," Jace says.

"Hey, doesn't Magnus' dad own a few restaurants around the city?" Clary asks, causing Alec to tense up.

"Uh, yeah," Alec has an uneasy feeling about where Clary is going with this. "Why do you ask?"

"Maybe you can talk to Magnus and see if his dad knows anyone looking for a chef." Clary says. Alec also sees that Jace has a smirk maring his face. At this precise moment, Alec wants to strangle Clary.