Chapter 4

The others' angry gaze shifted to their youngest pack member as it limped forwards, as if it was trying to prove something.

Y/N looked at the place the chocolate brown wolf had come from.
It was a bush next to the road. A hole showed how the ground was covered with branches and moss, as if something had been trying to make it as comfortable as possible.

She looked back at the wolves. So... their youngest pack member got hurt, and had trouble walking, so the other 3 created a hiding spot for it to rest. To walk past here, she would probably come too near to their hurt comrade for their liking...

It made sense to her, but...

There was blood coming from the wolf's front paw..

Releasing a breath Y/N didn't know she was holding, she crouched down.
"Hi there..." she spoke as sweetly as her trembling voice allowed her, "Don't worry.. I'm not a threat, I promise..."
She put the groceries down and showed the predators her empty hands.

"See?"

The youngest shifted his head in question, slowly walking closer.
By now, only one of the wolves was still growling at her. The others were quiet, but still observing her every movement with utmost caution. As if they somehow decided to trust her, but were still hesitant of their verdict.

Y/N was sitting on her knees as the wolf sat down in front of her. From closer, the creature was even more beautiful, yet scary. 

Honestly, she was so scared right now, but just maybe she could help. Being a clutz, shehad taken care of wounds very often, and learned how to treat them with precision from her friend. How different could this be..?

Okay MAYBE she would at least be able to estimate the amount of harm the animal was having.
Doubting it would even result in anything, she opened her hand barely above the ground.
To her surprise the animal carefully placed its hurt paw in her hand palm.

Well okay, that was... unbelievable.

Y/N carefully inspected the paw.
There was something stuck in it.. No wonder the poor thing was limping.
Now, it would have been easy if she had had a pincer or something, but she had to do with the materials at hand..

Okay besides groceries she had a small medial kit with her, but that only included a few band aids, ointment and some cleanser...

Wait... In the groceries she had a sushi pack.. there were chopsticks in there..

With her free hand she went through the grocery bag until she found the small plastic box with sushi.

"Well... Guess I'm eating them with a fork later.."

Y/N took the wooden chopsticks and held them in place. This was either a nice gesture that would help them and have her feel proud afterwards, or it could be the biggest mistake she'd ever make. Probably the latter.

She raised the wolfs paw and slowly clenched the object that was stuck with the sticks, ignoring the pissed off howling of that one single wolf from the pack.
Whispering sweet nothings to sooth the wolf in pain, she successfully removed the cause of this all: a thorn of a rose.
Y/N did recall one of her elder neighbors planting a gallon of red roses earlier this week.

To stop the bleeding she quickly took her clean handkerchief and pressed it to the paw. Using the cleanser would sting, and she was too scared to hurt it, so she just went with the ointment.
It was uncomfortable, as the creamy substance would stick to the animal's fur, but it was better than pouring alcohol based cleanser all over it.
A second handkerchief was used to tightly surround the paw.

As Y/N finished treating the wolf, she noticed the other wolfs just lay on the ground, quietly lazing around. Only one of them, surprisingly enough the fluffy one, still seemed to be alerted by her presence near their youngest member.
Finally she put the paw down, not daring to touch the creature any longer than she had already done.

It already surprised her that the thing hadn't bitten her hand even once during the whole procedure.

The wolf hesitantly leaned on the paw, before turning around in excitement.

"Cute.." Y/N muttered quietly.

Chocolate turned at her with its ears down, as if it understood what she said and disliked it.

...

Nah, she was probably imagining it, right?

Looking at her one last time, the wolves left, leaving Y/N.

Did that actually happen?