↣ Chapter Eleven ↣

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

A N O T H E R 

F I R S T 

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

Walmart was especially good on a Saturday night, when most people were on dates and not shopping to refill their kitchens. That's why Chris and Magnus had taken absolutely no time getting all their groceries before Magnus headed out for his date that night, leaving Chris to unpack all their groceries into the fridge and cupboards. Catarina had a late night shift, and Carrie was covering for Maia, who was also going on a date, and Zach was also working, meaning that Chris was all alone that night. He didn't mind, but since everybody was busy with work, it made Chris think about getting a job too.

As he restocked the fridge with all the food he and Magnus had picked out, he thought about what the older warlock said about how he used to work before he became the High Warlock of Brooklyn. He used to help people with their problems, like quite a lot of warlocks all over the world did unless they were gifted in other areas of magic. Like Catarina, who was highly skilled with the healing side of magic and so became a nurse. When Chris first moved to New York, he wouldn't even have dreamed of helping any of the people he met, but now he quite liked the idea. He would probably talk to Magnus about it the next day.

Chris carefully filled the freezer with the three tubs of ice cream they had bought before there was a knock at the door. The warlock froze, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He hadn't been expecting anyone and he was sure Alec was working. The Shadowhunter had text him earlier about the Shax demons he had had to handle alone, that seemed like a lot of work. And it wasn't like Alec just to drop by unexpectedly. Unless of course he, or one of his friends, were dying and then he would definitely forget to call before he showed up.

But Chris pushed those darkened thoughts away as he made his way from the kitchen to the front door. The visitor knocked again, probably thinking that Chris hadn't heard them the first time. Chris swung the door open, seeing Alec standing there. He didn't look hurt. Actually he looked perfectly okay, apart from the furrowed brow that showed him he was thinking.

"Hey, is Jace here?" Alec pushed his way into the apartment, pulling off his leather jacket and hanging it up next to the gold, dragon-clawed coat hanger beside the door where a few of Magnus and Chris' own jackets hung up. You could obviously tell which jacket belonged to who; Chris' were dark or denim, whereas Magnus' were colourful, glittering or rich fabric.

"Nah, he left hours ago, you alright?" Chris asked, shutting the door behind his boyfriend. Alec didn't answer, instead he grabbed Chris by the cheeks, his lips moulding onto his quickly. Chris was stunned for a second or two before he pushed away, chuckling at his boyfriend.

"What's all this about?" he laughed, his hands falling to Alec's hips as the Shadowhunter allowed his own hands to rest on Chris' shoulder. "I'm not complaining, but?"