↣ Chapter Twenty Six ↣

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

S A V I N G 

L I G H T W O O D S 

L I G H T W O O D S 

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

Chris stepped out of the infirmary with Brother Enoch, both of them not looking at each other. The Silent Brothers had always freaked Chris out with their shewn up features and their telepathic ways. He tried to stay away from them as much as possible, but they were the ones who were going to heal Max. There was no warlock magic strong enough.

As soon as they stepped out together, the Lightwood's all jumped up. Madzie had a tight grip on Alec's legs, she had been slightly scared to be introduced to the Lightwood family. But Maryse had been kind and gentle towards her when she saw her, Robert had smiled in acknowledgement and Isabelle was Isabelle. However, Madzie still felt safer with Alec, who had bundled her in his lap from the moment he had sat down, and she hadn't let go of him since. Chris almost smiled at the sight of her clutching at his black jeans.

Chris did not smile. He could not bring himself to do so.

"His injuries are too severe," he told the Lightwood family. He looked down at his daughter, who took that as a sign and sat down in Alec's original seat. Alec glanced back at her, as if her presence had been a comfort to him. "Max's only hope for recovery now lies with Brother Enoch." They all looked over at the Silent Brother, there was something so fascinatingly creepy about him.

"There's gotta be something, anything," Alec pressed. Chris looked at him, at his red rimmed eyes. He couldn't even begin to comprehend how hard it was on Alec. Chris had lost so many people, but never a sibling. This was much different than Caroline going missing.

"Brother Enoch," Maryse' voice was sharp and stern, but the tears in her eyes showed how much she cared for her children. Chris felt his heart strings tug for this woman. She had tried to kill him, but only because she was trying to protect her two year old son and the daughter that she carried back then. Chris still felt a pang of hatred towards her, but he understood her reasons.

"No!" Alec stepped forward, blocking the Silent Brother from entering Max's room.

"Alec," Maryse moved forward, standing in front of her son. "I know you're scared, we all are, but if Max is going to have any chance, we need to let Brother Enoch do this, now!" Alec nodded, it was more of a jerk of the head, but it still meant that Brother Enoch could enter Max's room. Chis stood beside his daughter, clutching her small hand in his own. He wished he had left her at home, but at least she had provided some comfort to Alec before. Madzie squeezed Chris' hand and nodded towards Alec. She could sense the tension between them, and she wanted them to resolve it.

Chris made his way over to Alec, who was staring, painfully, at the door that had closed behind Brother Enoch. The rest of his family had all sat down, and Madzie sat beside Isabelle, now comforting the female Shadowhunter by holding her hand. Chris smiled at the sight, but the smile slipped off his face when Alec looked at him.