↣ Chapter Fourteen ↣

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

C H A R R E D 

F I N G E R S 

F I N G E R S 

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

They had spent the whole night trying to talk him out of it, but Chris knew that as soon as they found Madzie, she was going to stay with him. None of them thought that he was ready for a child, and that maybe Catarina would be better taking the little girl in, but Chris was not listening to their arguments. He was the one who felt that bond with Madzie, and so he was the one who was going to take her in.

Well, that was if they could find her. They had spent all day looking for the little girl, but to no avail. Valentine had her hidden away, just like he had hidden Caroline, and no amount of portal jumping could lead them to her. So they trudged back into the apartment, Magnus claiming he needed a drink and Catarina saying that she needed to get her shoes off and fast. But when they got to the apartment, they noticed the figure on the balcony, leaning over New York City. Chris sighed, and made his way outside to his boyfriend, his hand coming to rest on Alec's shoulder once he was close enough.

"How many Downworlders do you think live in New York?" Alec asked. His mouth was set in a straight line, but his eyebrows were furrowed in deep thought. He obviously felt as if he needed to save them all. Because Alec was a hero, despite what he might have thought about himself.

"I don't know," Chris answered honestly, turning to look out over the busy streets below them. Everyone looked like ants, it made him feel so very far away and disconnected from the world when he stood on the balcony. "But they're not all your responsibility."

"You are." Chris couldn't help but smile at his boyfriend, wanting to roll his eyes at how cute and cliched Alec could be at times. He had really settled into being in a relationship, almost as if he was made to be with Chris.

"I can take care of myself."

"Maybe, but this is different." The sun was beginning to set, and the couple allowed their eyes to settle on the beautiful, swirling watercolours of the New York sunset. Bright oranges and reds mixed with deep purples and blues. Chris thought that it was almost as beautiful as looking into Alec's eyes.

"You may have lived through two World Wars, but even Hell couldn't have been this fearful." Chris sighed, turning slightly to face Alec.

He took a deep breath, allowing Alec the time to look back at him. "Alec, I know things may seem bleak, but-" Chris stopped again, looking down at the ledge they leaned against and back up at his boyfriend. "-nothing was as devastating as seeing you standing on that ledge."

"It was the magic, I would never-"

"I know-"

"Never!"