Encounters

Ceri

Without wasting time, I grabbed a weapon that Ithel had made me. I tied it to my thigh and I took off.

I hurried the best I could despite my bad foot. I descended the forest as I searched for good branches. I kind of understood my surroundings better now. The forest was actually a slope. It stretched down to the village of foreigners and our fountain was almost at the top. It was close to a summit, and that made it easier to find. That's what Ithel had told me, and of course, he was right.

I wondered what Vreis and Epona were doing. Probably playing with new feathers that Cailyn gave them during the last Agape. Or maybe he offered them new things? What did he give them this time?

He certainly gave Halina something nice. Even though they couldn't mate, he could still gift her... Wait, if they didn't share their Agape this year, did Vreis and Epona stay with Halina and her other mate, or did they stay with Cailyn and his mate??...

If Halina didn't keep her children during the Agape, then... when she stayed alone in the den, maybe she thought about me?

Was she thinking about me right now? Did she know that we escaped, Ithel and I?

I wonder if I focused on her spirit so hard right now, maybe she'll feel that I was alright? That would be so amazing. And then I'd have something awesome to teach Ithel.

It wasn't very far-fetched of an idea. Mothers have a spiritual link to their children. They can sense unseen things about them.

'She's not your mother'

Drita's voice sounded so clear, it made me jolt and look for a tree as support.

Why was she haunting me? Why wouldn't she leave me be!!!

I was about to go into another round of wishes and blames when I heard a beautiful sound. I raised my eyes to the tree above me and saw the strangest bird ever. It was mostly green, with a blue line from its head to the tail. I awed at its beauty, even its voice was melodic. Like it was singing.... And it did so for no specific reason.

As I watched the birdy move with little jumps on a long tree branch, I wished I could be like it. Be happy and sing for no reason and despite everything. There should always be a reason for being happy. Because the forest was beautiful. Because there were so many trees. Because the sun was warm and the birds were happy.

Because I was here, alive, with the most amazing Aello there had ever been.

I smiled as I thought about Ithel. He'll be happy when he sees the den that I'll build for us.

I'll make him so proud.

With renewed resolve, I regained my spirits. The bird flew to another branch and I followed it. It didn't fly far. As if playing with me and taunting me. And it really was the case because the naughty birdy flew towards me, making a sharp turn right before my nose before it set on another branch. I laughed and limped closer to it again. We played like that a bit longer until it took off to the sky.

I started looking for the best tree branches. I walked around for a couple of hours until I came across the well. I didn't go near it as it kind of gave me a creepy feeling. So I went around it and walked further, hoping to see the village again.

Where the people here nice or evil? Would they agree to let me get close and watch them? What did they make their clothes from? What did they eat? ........... Did they too keep bad spirits under the ground?......... Would they too let Drita find me???

I stopped trying to chase my own thoughts away and just let them roam freely in my head. I kept advancing, having completely forgotten about the purpose of this trip.