Chapter 2

"Katrien, what is the condition of Byakuya Kuchiki?" Unohana asked when the Lieutenant arrived back to the Fourth Division.

        "Oh, the young Kuchiki has only a cold, Captain," Katrien answered, bowing slightly. "I told them I would check up with the family during the week to monitor his condition."

        The woman nodded, "Very well, thank you."

        Katrien walked from the room down the hall. A smile spread across her face, seeing a group of Fourth Division members conversing at the end of the hall. She snuck towards them before she stood behind one of the Soul Reapers. "Isane!" Katrien exclaimed, throwing her arms over the young girl's shoulders, hugging her around the neck.

        Isane cried out in surprise, jumping. Everyone laughed aloud, as she breathed heavily to try and get back her breath. "Katrien! That's not funny!" Isane whined, small tears in the corners of her eyes.

        "Aw, you know I love you, Isane, and do this in good fun," Katrien said with a grin.

        The Soul Reapers left them in the hallway. "You may be my older sister, but sometimes you act younger than your age."

        "Are you calling me old?" the older Kotetsu sister pouted.

        Isane chuckled, hugging Katrien's arm in response. "Never. What are you up to?"

        "Just back from visiting the Kuchiki Household. They're youngest member is sick with a cold so I'm his doctor for the week until he gets better."

        "Are their grounds beautiful?" They started walking down the halls, looking for work.

        "So beautiful, even if it is winter. Can you imagine what they would look like in the spring and summer? The cherry blossoms? They have so many of those trees!"

        Isane chuckled. "You are a sucker for those flowers."

        Katrien smiled in response. "Have you heard from Kiyone?"

        "Received a letter from her right after you left. She says she's been enjoying her studies and receiving high marks in class. Something interesting has been happening though."

        "What?" Katrien asked in interest.

        "Kiyone says she's been doing great in her advanced healing classes, but her zanpakuto is growing stronger as well."

        "So let me guess, you're thinking that she might not be coming to the Fourth Division upon graduation, correct?"

        "You know, it's scary how you almost always know what I'm thinking."

        Katrien chuckled, slinging an arm over her sister's shoulders. "Well, everyone always say siblings have that kind of mind-link."

        "I thought that only happened with twins," Isane pointed out.

        "Meh, I say it can happen to others as well."

        "Funny, Kiyone and I can't do that."

        "That's because you're not strong enough," Katrien teased.

        "Right," Isane drawled out, rolling her eyes. "Or maybe it's because you're powers are slightly different?"

        Katrien shrugged. "Call it what you want-"

        "Lieutenant Kotetsu!" someone called from down the hall.

        "What is it?"

        "You're needed in room 501!"

        "I'll be right there." Katrien turned to Isane, giving her a smile. "I'll see you around."

----------

        "You're looking a lot better today, Byakuya," Katrien noted on her next visit. This time, he was sitting up in bed waiting for her. She carried a tray of tea over to the side table, handing him a cup with some herbs.

        "I'm feeling a lot better," Byakuya answered, sipping his drink. "What did you give me?"

        "A little bit of this, and a little bit of that," Katrien answered with a smile. "The medicine I gave you attacked the infection in your lungs and cleared up your sinuses."

        "Byakuya," a voice came from the door. They looked over to see Ginrei standing in the doorway. "May I talk to Katrien for a moment?"

        "Yes, Grandfather."

        Katrien bowed to Byakuya in respect before stepping outside the door and down the hall where they stopped. "Your healing methods are quiet interesting," Ginrei spoke up. "I've been watching your progress with your patients in the Soul Society and I must say I am impressed."

        "Have you been spying on me, Captain?" Katrien asked, with a hit of amusement.

        Ginrei chuckled slightly. "If you put it that way, then yes. I have a proposition for you."

        "Oh?" she asked, cocking an eyebrow.

        "I want to make you the permanent physician of the Kuchiki Household." Katrien's eyes slightly widened in surprise. "It will not affect your position in the Fourth Division, I just ask that those in the Kuchiki Clan be seen by you if we are to fall ill."

        "I am honored, Captain Kuchiki, for the offer. I accept."

        "Good. How is my grandson?"

        "From what I have observed so far today he will make a quick recovery and will be well by the end of the week."

        "Good, I will leave you to the rest of your work."

        The Captain turned to walk away. "Captain Kuchiki, how have you been feeling?"

        He stopped, looking back at Katrien. "Fine, why do you ask?"

        The teen smiled. "As the physician of the Household it is now my duty to make sure everyone is in top shape."

        Ginrei smiled back.

----------

        "Katrien, slow down!" Isane exclaimed as her older sister dragged her down the streets.

        "Well you're taking too long!" Katrien whined. "I want to see Kiyone!"

        "I want to see her too! But you're going to pull my arm out of its socket!"

        "Sorry," the older sister said, releasing the limb and scratching the back of her head.

        Isane shrugged both shoulders as they continued walking. "Isane! Katrien!" Kiyone exclaimed as she ran towards them, catching both in a hug.

        "How's it going, sis?" Katrien asked, ruffling her hair.

        "Great! Can we go over to the training grounds? I want to show you how much I have improved."

        "Maybe later," Isane laughed. "Katrien and I have been wanting to take you out to lunch for ages now. It's not every day we both get the same day off."

        "Katrien, I heard you got a promotion," Kiyone said with stars in her eyes.

        "Er, I wouldn't really call it a promotion," the older teen answered.

        "Are you kidding?" Isane asked. "You just became the physician for the Kuchiki Household. That's a big deal."

        "So, we're going to celebrate, right?" Kiyone asked.

        Katrien chuckled, hooking her arms around both of her sisters' necks. "Whatever you guys say," she answered, smiling. "Where to?"