Chapter 9

Sure enough, Soul Reapers from the Soul Society swarmed Karakura Town within hours of the first encounter of Aizen's army. They were called Arrancars, and attacked Ichigo and his friends in a park. Katrien watched the scene from the cover of the trees in the area. She was ready to rush in when she saw the bracelet Ichigo wore became unresponsive after a while.

        For some reason it was rejecting the user.

        Kisuke and Yoruichi appeared out of nowhere, helping the teens. The Arrancars disappeared into a garganta. Katrien watched the area for a few more minutes before vanishing into the undergrowth.

        The woman waited in the shadows outside Urahara's Shop for the Soul Reaper to finish tendering to the wounds of the Substitute Soul Reaper. "How long are you going to stand out here?" She looked down, seeing Yoruichi in cat form, sitting on a barrel.

        "Until he's done caring for the others."

        "You may be here a while then. Their wounds were extensive." The two were quiet, listening to the noise on the streets around them. "Whatever you need to ask him, I could probably answer for you." Katrien said nothing as she leaned on the wall, eyes closed, arms crossed. "It's about that bracelet he wore, isn't it?"

        Her eyes opened, locking with the animal. "What the hell kind of Hollow is inside of him to be rejecting the Wiccan symbol?"

        "One of the worst," Yoruichi answered. "Worse then the ones that were put into the others who were banished."

        "How did that get chosen? How do Hollows, or Soul Reapers, choose the body?"

        "We have no idea how it works."

        Something small came flying through the air, and Katrien caught it before it smacked into the back of her head. She looked in the other direction, finding Kisuke. "It was found lying on the bed next to Ichigo after we tended to his wounds," he relayed.

       The Witch opened her hand, finding the Wiccan bracelet. "Damn, he burned off the seal." Their eyes met, Katrien's hard. "What the hell have you put in him, Kisuke?"

        "There will be more coming, you know," he said, ignoring the question. "More Arrancars."

        "Is that what they're called?"

        The man nodded. "They are a lot stronger than a Soul Reaper. At least the higher ranked ones are, from what we've gathered so far."

        Katrien smirked slightly. "Well then it's a good thing I'm not a normal Soul Reaper." She pushed off the wall, and began walking away from him and down the alley. "I'm going to pay the kid a visit, see if I can get it back on. Even if I do, it won't be the same. With the power of his Hollow, the bracelet will only work if it's not on the surface, or near to. Unless the attack is demonic or has threatening intentions, it will reject it, user or enemy."

        "Katrien... don't go looking for a fight with these guys. We have no idea how powerful they are, nor how much of an impact your abilities will have on them. Don't get yourself killed."

        "Right back at'cha, Urahara." The Witch then disappeared into the night.

----------

        A group of Arrancar, including an Espada, attacked without warning. "Which one of you are the strongest?" the Espada, known as Grimmjow, asked. A sadistic grin stretched over his lips, eyes scanning Rukia and Ichigo.