Chapter 4

Everyone in the Soul Society looks forward to the beginning of spring. The snow starts melting, temperature getting warmer, and those who were sick were starting to feel well again. As Katrien continued to visit the Kuchiki Household the cherry blossoms began to bloom. Her eyes lit up every time she entered the gates and walked by the gardens that were full of her favorite flower.

        "You like cherry blossoms," Byakuya stated one day. The two were sitting on the wooden path that faced the gardens. Katrien's legs were hanging over the side, swinging absently. She looked over at Byakuya, who was practicing his calligraphy beside her.

        "I love them," the older teen answered with a smile. "They are my favorite flower." Her eyes turned back to the trees. "I love when they blossom from a small bud to when the petals slowly fall to the ground. Its all breathtaking."

        "You've put a lot of thought into it."

        "You would too. When you love something enough to admire its beauty you'd say the same things."

        She lay back on the wooden floorboards, hands behind her head. Her eyes rested on Byakuya, who painted away. "Byakuya?"

        "Hmm?"

        "What's it like to have a zanpakuto?"

        He stopped his activity, looking Katrien in the eye. "Why do you ask?"

        "I've never had one before." She rolled over onto her stomach, resting her chin in the palm of her hand. "I'm curious."

        The young teen broke eye contact, thinking. He never had to describe his sword before. "It's... like an extension of your arm. Think of it like a dance with techniques and skills."

        "Huh... well that sounds easy," Katrien mused in thought.

        Byakuya chuckled, setting down his brush. "It's not. You don't want to get cut by your opponent, so whenever you go into battle you never know when it can be your last. Having a zanpakuto, one must go through rigorous training to master it. There's a soul within each Soul Reaper's blade, which you must create a bond with so the two of you can work together."

        "Well when you put it that way it sounds difficult." Byakuya laughed lightly, shaking his head. "So, what if you and your zanpakuto don't see eye to eye?"

        "It's difficult to fight Hollows then. You need to be in sync. Not having harmony is difficult to work with."

        "Hmm..."

        "Miss. Katrien?" The two looked over at the maid who joined them. "A message from your Captain."

        "Thank you," the Lieutenant said, sitting up and taking the slip of paper. Katrien sighed, shaking her head.

        "What is it?" Byakuya asked.

        She grumbled in frustration. "Squad Eleven is causing problems once again in the Fourth Division," Katrien answered, running an aggrivated hand through her already, slightly, messed up hair. "They came back from a mission early this morning and a fourth of its members got roughed up pretty bad. Seems like most of them have woken up and are tormenting my members."

        "What are you going to do?"

        Katrien tightened the ponytail, cracking her fingers. "Oh, I'm going to kick some asses back into bed."

        Byakuya sweat dropped at her demonic expression. "Uh... you go and do that."

        Her expression softened as she smiled down at him. "Sorry my visit was cut short today. I'll drop by this weekend."