Chapter 16

Girlish screams could be heard in the Fourth Division, the tranquil setting being broken in an instant. Other members looked down the halls in the direction of the noise, wondering what was going on. "Nothing has changed!" a voice yelled. "After a hundred years, you Eleventh Division members are nothing but brutal, piggish, bully men! I've said it before and I'll say it again! I will not have that behavior in this Division!"

        Hanataro and Isane sweat dropped upon recognizing the voice, the Lieutenant sighing heavily. "She hasn't changed much either," the woman muttered.

        "Isane." They turned, spotting Unohana. "Where is all that yelling coming from?"

        "Take a wild guess, Captain..." the Third Seat muttered, walking by.

        "Katrien has made her presence known to the Eleventh Division," Isane answered.

        Unohana laughed lightly. "I missed that," the woman answered, walking down the hall. "However, Katrien is needed in the Meeting Hall, you too Isane."

        "Captain?"

        "All of the Captains' and Lieutenants' are holding a very important meeting. You'll be briefed when we get there." The door slid open to the loud room, four Sqaud Eleven Members cowering in their beds while Katrien held another man in a painful looking headlock. "That will be all, Katrien. You are needed elsewhere."

        Everyone looked up. "But I still have two more to teach the meaning of respect," Katrien pouted. The other men squeaked, cringing in fear at the punishment that awaited them.

        "You can do that later. Besides, you're needed elsewhere."

        That perked the Witch's interest. "Where are we going?"

----------

         "Katrien Kotetsu, I believe this decision is long overdue," Yamamoto stated. All of the Captains' and their Lieutenants' stood present, Katrien standing a few feet in front of the Head Captain. "I promote you to the Captain position of Squad Five."

        The Witch's mouth dropped open in shock, reaching forward numbly to receive her jacket. It had to be a dream, she throught, pulling on the white item. Any minute she'd wake up. That thought was dashed when Isane came running through the loud applause from the others in the room to give the sister a hug. This was truly happening. No more running, no more hiding. Katrien was home.

        "Congratulations." Katrien looked over at the door to her new room, finding Byakuya just outside. A smile crossed her lips, standing up straight.

        "Thank you, Byakuya."

        He then walked in. "It suits you, the position. The Head Captain was right, this promotion was long overdue."

        "I take it you had something to do with this then?" The man nodded. Katrien stepped forward, hugging Byakuya. "Thank you." Pulling away, the Witch looked up at the Captain. "You know, I can't get over how tall you've gotten... Now I feel short."

        A smile tugged at the edge of his lips. "I'm not 'little' anymore."

        "So I see."

        He should've said more, but something held him back at the moment. Instead, Byakuya spoke the real reason he had visited. "I've come to invite you to dinner at the Kuchiki Household."

        "I'll have to take a raincheck then. My new Squad is holding a banquet in celebration. How about tomorrow?"

        "That will do."

        Momo knocked on the door. "Captain Kotetsu, some paperwork came for you," the young woman spoke up.

        "Thank you, Momo. I'll see you later, Byakuya."

        The Sixth Squad Captain watched as Katrien walked away, talking with her Lieutenant along the way. It was then he realized what a beautiful woman she had grown into, not that he thought of her any differently a hundred years prior. However, something was changed. Maybe it was because they had not seen each other in so long? Or the fact that they were no long teens'? Or that there was something there all along, not realizing it until now?

        Byakuya didn't have the answers... yet.