Chapter 18

The next morning, Katrien exited the guest bedroom in a sleeping kimono she found in the closet. The cook greeted her in a friendly manner, preparing a meal. While he was busy, the Captain made herself a cup of tea before retiring to the main dinning hall. Sitting on one of the pillows, she looked out over a small garden with a pond and some koi fish. The tea in hand was steaming, erasing any signs of lingering drowsiness.

        Some light murmurs came from down the hall, stopping upon reaching the rice paper door to the dinning room. Noticing the lack of communication, Katrien looked over her shoulder, already knowing who it was. "Good morning, gentlemen," she greeted the advisors.

        Some nodded in response. Turning around, they shuffled away in silence. However, one pair of footsteps approached her, sitting on the other side of the table. "I don't think we were formally introduced before. I am Takumi Shintani."

        "Katrien Kotetsu. You're the only one who doesn't comment when the others do."

        "Yes, well, let's say that I'm more open to change. I was the one who was for Byakuya Kuchiki marrying Hisane many years ago."

        "I see."

        "I would like to talk to you, just a woman to an old man like me. I don't know much about Witches and was wondering if you could enlighten me."

        A smile came to her lips. "I'd be glad to."

        They talked for an hour, the two laughing now and then when making a comment. The other advisors eavesdropped from the other room, pressing their ears to the rice door. "What are you doing?" Byakuya asked, spotting them. The men jumped at having been caught. "It wouldn't kill you to sit and stay a while." He walked in instead, finding Katrien talking with Takumi.

        "Oh, good morning, Byakuya," she greeted. "The cook just served breakfast. Are you hungry?" He nodded, sitting beside her.

        "She's a riot!" Takumi laughed, taking a bite of his food. "The times when her powers were unstable and accidentally blew her experiments up, priceless. To see the students' faces must've been a sight to see."

        "It was," Katrien giggled, pouring tea for Byakuya.

        The others watched from afar. "She seems to have manners."

        "Her posture is better than most."

        "She is a Captian now."

        "She can hold a conversation."

        The old men looked at each other. Maybe they had been wrong to judge?

----------

        "Alright! I want everyone to come forward to receive his or her daily tasks. We've got some important missions today, and I'll need you all to be on your toes. Lieutenant Hinamori and myself will be around today in meetings, so if you need help contact us by Hell Butterfly. Understood?"

        "Yes, Captain!" they all answered.

        "Unranked members please approach me!" Momo directed.

        It took them nearly a half hour before the room was empty once more. "That's the last of them," Katrien sighed.

        "Are you meeting with Captain Kuchiki today?" the Lieutenant asked.

        "Maybe between meetings. With the Head Captain, Mayuri, and Unohana all calling a meeting one after the other, having a break will be difficult. Shouldn't you be heading off to your Lieutenant meeting?"