Chapter 6

"There was another attack?" Katrien asked. Unohana nodded as they walked away from their Division.

        "This time the Head Captain is asking for us go to the scene ourselves and check it out. Have you found anything from the last attack?"

        Katrien shook her head. "Only traces of hair, but that is it. No answers as to why they disappeared or how. It's really frustrating."

        When they arrived, Kensei, Mashiro, and Yoruichi were on the scene. "Have you found anything?" Unohana asked.

        "Nothing," the Squad Two Captain answered. "This is starting to worry me."

        "It's the fifth attack this month alone, and they are all very close to each other in distance and time frame," Kensei pointed out. "If this keeps going everything will start get out of control."

        "Well hopefully it will not come to that," Unohana said.

        "Captain!" Katrien called over from where she was inspecting the clothing. The Captain walked over to her Lieutenant. "Look at the ground," she spoke lowly. Unohana did as she asked. "Something's wrong with the grass. When a human being stands in a spot for too long, they leave foot indents. However... these prints are not human under these scraps of clothing." The woman noticed what she was talking about. It was a small detail, but there none-the-less. "Are we sure they were even human before they died?" Katrien whispered, looking at where the other souls had stood.

        Unohana was utterly stunned by the question.

----------

        "So you're coming into the Court Guard Squads tomorrow?" Katrien asked. Byakuya and her sat in front of a chessboard, playing.

        "Grandfather invited me along," Byakuya answered, moving a pawn. "I'll eventually have to become a Soul Reaper and work as one, so Grandfather wants me to start learning everything I can before I graduate."

        "He's a very smart man for doing so." Katrien moved her bishop, claiming a knight. "Well when you're there you'll have to come visit me in the Fourth Division. We can have lunch together if you'd like."

        The boy smiled. "I'd like that."

        "So, Byakuya, any girl that has caught your fancy?"

        The teen nearly choked on the tea he was drinking mid sip. "Katrien!" he exclaimed, blushing and trying to wipe away the liquid on his lips.

        "What?" Katrien laughed. "Do you? I think by your reaction you do," she teased.

        "I do not," he grumbled, moving a rook.

        She giggled. "Had to ask, and your expression was priceless."

        "Well, what about you?" he asked back.

        "Nah, no one's caught my eye," she answered, rolling her eyes as she moved her Queen. "Besides, guys really don't like me all that much."

        Byakuya furrowed his brows in confusion. "Why is that?"

        Katrien gave him a crooked grin. "Cause I'm a crazy loon, of course." The statement caused the two to erupt into a fit of laughter. When it died down they went back to their game. "I'm not ready to date and settle down just yet. Maybe in a few years I'll hook myself a man."

        The door beside them opened to reveal a servant. "Miss, it is three o'clock."

        "Thank you," Katrien answered, looking one last time at the board and moving a piece. "I'll see you around, Byakuya," she called over her shoulder. Before leaving she looked back at him. "Oh, and checkmate," she adding, giving him a wink.

        Byakuya's head snapped back to the board in front of him and saw she was right. "Damn," he mumbled in frustration. "How does she always beat me?"

        Katrien hummed to herself as she walked back towards the Fourth Division. Upon entering she greeted her sister before finding Unohana. "Hello, Captain."

        "Afternoon, Katrien. What can I do for you?"

        "I was wondering if you needed anything from me. We are having a slow day after all."

        "Some members from the Ninth Division went out to scout the area where souls have been disappearing. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, on your way home could you please bring them some medical supplies and food after you are off?"

        "You got it, Captain."

        It was dark when Katrien left the Division with the needed material for the Squad's stake out. She walked into the forest, gathering herbs and plant life along the way. The teen stuffed them in her side bag, humming a silent tune to herself.

        The sound of clashing zanpakutos rang up ahead, snapping Katrien's focus to the noise. She flash stepped, coming to a clearing where the Ninth Squad Captain and his subordinates were supposed to be. However, she was met with Kensei, Mashiro, and Hyori, a Hollow mask over their faces, dead Shinigamis at Kensei's feet, and Rose, Love, Lisa, Shinji, and Hacchi fighting them.

        What the heck is going on? Katrien wondered to herself. A white substance exploded from the remaining Soul Reapers' faces, Hollow masks crawling over them. Then Aizen appeared with Gin and Tousen at his sides. The Lieutenant was about to attack his Captain, Shinji, when Katrien had seen enough. She rushed forward, crying out, "Captain Hirako! Bakudou Number Thirty-Nine, Enkosen!"

        An arced shield appeared, not out of Reistsu, but out of some different matter, blocking the attack. Once the girl was on the other side of the shield she pointed her fingers at Aizen. "Hadou Number Four, Byakurai!" Again, the attack was not made out of Reiatsu, the pale lightning shot from her fingers, heading straight for the three. They lunged out of the way in time as Katrien picked up Shinji. "Captain Hirako!"

        "Lieutenant Kotetsu, please get out of here!" the man ordered. "Run!"

        "I'm not leaving! I can help you!" The Hollow mask continued to grow over the man's facial features. Katrien placed a hand over Shinji's face. "Mother take the pain away, Goddess make him strong..." Shinji was surprised as he felt the Hollow mask begin the recede. "Make his spirit whole again, Mother, heal his wounds. Mother take the pain away, Goddess make him strong, Make his spirit whole again, Mother, heal his wounds..."

        "Well, well, well, this is interesting," Aizen's voice interrupted. "That's a Wiccan chant, isn't it?"

        "Mother take the pain away..." Katrien continued, brows furrowing in aggravation.

        "It's reversing the Hollowfication, an intriguing development. However, I cannot allow you to do that."

        Aizen appeared behind the teen, making her eyes widen, loosing concentration. She scooped up Shinji in time, flash stepping a distance away. The Captain cried out as the Hollow mask began to reform on his face at a faster rate. "You have no hope now."

        "Damn," Katrien grumbled, looking down at the Soul Reaper in her arms.

        "You will die, Lieutenant Kotetsu," Aizen stated.

        Something shot through the air, making him move out of the way. "Captain Urahara!" Katrien exclaimed.

        "Katrien, get out of here," he ordered.

        "But-!"

        "That's an order! You've done enough. Your spells will no longer work on them anymore. They are too far gone."

        "How much... do you know?"

        "Enough," Kisuke answered after a brief silence. "Get out of here. And you might want to hide."

        "Very well, but please be careful..."

        "Watch yourself," the man said back.

        Katrien disappeared in a puff of smoke.